Lx470, HID vs LED side by side. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If anyone is thinking of upgrading their headlight bulbs, this might be helpful.

Left is 35W 5000k Morimoto HID from the retrofit source
Right is SaberLED ProX 55W Accu/V2 from DDM

20211210_225819_HDR_(1).jpg

I'm not actually sure which one I like better, the 5k should be better for visibility vs 6k. Seems the DDM has a tighter hotspot but not as much overall light.

Back 25 feet from the wall, then measure with a lumen meter to get a better reading at the hot spots and the sides.

Higher color temp yields lower lumen rating.

This is a 50w Morimoto XB ballast on 6000 kelvin Morimoto XB xenon bulb with Morimoto harness.

I stepped down from an 8000k bulb / 55w no harness amazon kit to the Morimoto elite XB kit and the latter is definitely brighter.
4A0674FF-F553-48B2-B458-9A39493239DC.jpeg
B46A9304-9BFD-480D-BF1A-EC75970DE679.jpeg

Higher color temp yields lower lumen rating.

This is a 50w Morimoto XB ballast on 6000 kelvin Morimoto XB xenon bulb with Morimoto harness.

I stepped down from an 8000k bulb / 55w no harness amazon kit to the Morimoto elite XB kit and the latter is definitely brighter.View attachment 2915769View attachment 2915773
You've got aftermarket projectors though so anything is better 😅

You've got aftermarket projectors though so anything is better 😅
That’s your last step, if I can do it all over again I’ll go with the D2S projectors (bigger, brighter, more bulb options).

I feel you though, my old setup, those squirrel finders;

0B8B85BE-E6E6-449D-850F-705A48B0C136.jpeg

If anyone is thinking of upgrading their headlight bulbs, this might be helpful.

Left is 35W 5000k Morimoto HID from the retrofit source
Right is SaberLED ProX 55W Accu/V2 from DDM

View attachment 2861603
I'm not actually sure which one I like better, the 5k should be better for visibility vs 6k. Seems the DDM has a tighter hotspot but not as much overall light.
Did you need the Canbus decoders for the LED install? Impressive output from that those LEDs for the price. The 12.5k lumen rating for the pair is legit.

Did you need the Canbus decoders for the LED install? Impressive output from that those LEDs for the price. The 12.5k lumen rating for the pair is legit.
No, you do not need canbus for our vehicles. Works just fine.

can anyone give me the cliff notes for this thread? I feel like it’s going way over my head lol

This is a bit dated now, I don't run either of those bulbs.

Short version, get the Hikari Future 2023 H1s and you'll be very happy.

View attachment 3522150

Am wondering if it’s good practice to, for example, use these less expensive bulbs for low beam (and fog light too maybe?), and then get something like the Morimoto bulb for high beams (since they can adjust voltage for DRL mode).

Am wondering if it’s good practice to, for example, use these less expensive bulbs for low beam (and fog light too maybe?), and then get something like the Morimoto bulb for high beams (since they can adjust voltage for DRL mode).

I've got the Moritomos V3s in my high beams. I need them for the drl function, legal requirement here
If you don't mind losing the drl, I would not recommend them. They're not much brighter than halogen, though the color temperature does match the low beams which is nice

I've got the Moritomos V3s in my high beams. I need them for the drl function, legal requirement here
If you don't mind losing the drl, I would not recommend them. They're not much brighter than halogen, though the color temperature does match the low beams which is nice
Thanks! I just ordered the Hikari for my low beams and the Morimoto for the hi beams / DRLs.

Now that I typed that I realized I didn't get anything for the fog lights. Would you recommend the Hikari for the fog lights too?

Thanks! I just ordered the Hikari for my low beams and the Morimoto for the hi beams / DRLs.

Now that I typed that I realized I didn't get anything for the fog lights. Would you recommend the Hikari for the fog lights too?
I'd go cheap on the fog lights. Nothing I've tried has had decent output, they're just not good projectors

I'd go cheap on the fog lights. Nothing I've tried has had decent output, they're just not good projectors

So I got the Hikari bulbs installed in the low beams. You were right... they are fantastic!

I tried to install the Morimoto bulbs that I had bought for High Beam / DRL, but they didn't seem to fit right. So I took them to my favorite shop to see if they could install them for me, and they said I need a different bulb... they said I need the equivalent of a 9005 or HB3 ???

I don't really know what that means though. The sticker on the box of bulbs I bought say LED1523 , H11 2Stroke 3.0

I see on their website they have a 9005 version but it says H10. Not sure if that's the right thing to order or not. Any advice?

So I got the Hikari bulbs installed in the low beams. You were right... they are fantastic!

I tried to install the Morimoto bulbs that I had bought for High Beam / DRL, but they didn't seem to fit right. So I took them to my favorite shop to see if they could install them for me, and they said I need a different bulb... they said I need the equivalent of a 9005 or HB3 ???

I don't really know what that means though. The sticker on the box of bulbs I bought say LED1523 , H11 2Stroke 3.0

I see on their website they have a 9005 version but it says H10. Not sure if that's the right thing to order or not. Any advice?
High beam is indeed 9005, or hb3
H9/10/11 are a different series of bulbs.

It is possible to fit an H10 in 9005 bulb holder but usually it needs some trimming

High beam is indeed 9005, or hb3
H9/10/11 are a different series of bulbs.

It is possible to fit an H10 in 9005 bulb holder but usually it needs some trimming

FWIW, I contacted Morimoto and here's what they said...

Date: Thu, Feb 1, 2024 at 10:39 AM
Subject: MorimotoHID Site Inquiry
To:

Good morning Nikoli,

Thanks for reaching out to us! H3B bulbs will also be compatible with 9005/H10 bulbs.

We just launched the new 2Stroke 4.0 this morning and the 3.0 has now been discontinued. The 4.0 is a superior bulb to the previous 3.0 in many ways. Arguably the biggest thing, now the 4.0 comes with a lifetime warranty versus the 3-year warranty. The 4.0 replicates the halogen beam pattern better than any bulb has before. The heatsink of this bulb is smaller to allow the bulb to fit into more vehicles. They have a driver ramp-up period of 15 minutes, which keeps the bulb consistently bright instead of losing brightness when the bulb is hot.

Here is a link to the 9005/H10 2Stroke 4.0s:

https://www.morimotohid.com/morimoto-2stroke-2-stroke-9005-led-bulbs_3?quantity=1

~Robert @ Support

Morimoto is The Benchmark in Automotive Lighting
Call or email us during normal business hours
Phone: 424-239-5142
Email: morimotohid@morimotohid.com
Products and new videos here: YouTube
Connect with us on Social Media here: Facebook

Nice to see that they are making improvements to the design. The 3.0 is somewhat scattered in the high beam housing without a great hotspot

Nice to see that they are making improvements to the design. The 3.0 is somewhat scattered in the high beam housing without a great hotspot

Well I just installed the Morimoto's... I also installed the anti flicker module... the high beams work, but it seems the DRLs do not turn on at all.

Did you have to do anything special to make the DRLs work?

Well I just installed the Morimoto's... I also installed the anti flicker module... the high beams work, but it seems the DRLs do not turn on at all.

Did you have to do anything special to make the DRLs work?
Do you have the recall DRL module?
I didn't have one on mine and had to add a resistor

Do you have the recall DRL module?
I didn't have one on mine and had to add a resistor
I guess I don't really know. It's an '05 with extensive dealership maintenance history. I would imagine the owner would have had it done. Is it easy to see under the hood?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom