Lx450 reboot, 6.0 project is coming together (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here is a photo, 2013 6L90e with northwest fab black box, and 1988 ausie spec split case with the fairey overdrive kit installed... Now if only ups wouldn't have lost the other half of the black box..

image.jpg

So the plan is as follows.
Complete drivetrain from a 2013 gmc 2500 hd truck. Just had a shop punch it 40 over with a torquer 2 cam and lsa heads. Has the flex fuel injectors and compression has been dropped to 9.75:1 to allow for lower octane fuel.

Just got trans back from having it gone through and built up for towing. Red eagle upgraded clutches etc.

Harness is done. Using a spear tech shifter.

Have a 2" body lift and 3" ome hd lift. Part time kit with aisin hubs and marks abs re locator. Have nitro axles and a full rebuild on the brakes and axle. Converting to a gmc hydro boost booster and brake pedal.

Will be working on it all over the next few weeks and hope to be close to done mid January. Waiting on the last few parts to be delivered.

I have documented the whole process and will post a build thread and photos when I am done with it all. Have been working it now off and on for almost 9 months.

What's the overall length with the transmission, black box and tcase compared to the marks adapter, trans and tcase? If nwf can make it that guys don't have to change drivelines that would be the ticket...

Total length bell housing to rear flange is 43.5". Using a tape under my cruiser and line of sight it is about 45" factory. So you are a touch shorter with this set up. Also the motor assembly will sit a bit farther forward so really you are even shorter then that I think. With a 4" lift I Anne's on double card and anyway so may be close there without having to stretch the shafts. Won't know for a while.

image.jpg

download.jpg
Man thats a clean set up, hard to believe doubler and tcase will allow you to not touch the fuel tank..:beer:

Rob

Last edited:
GOSH that is sexy! throw some low range gears in the split case while your at it =). What does the shifter look like for the range box?

It will be close to the gas tank, I am removing it anyway and putting a 40 gal in the spare tire area. I will also be putting a natural gas tank in the place of the original one so I am not that worried about the clearance issue. If this wasn't a fairy overdrive case I think it would clear. I have another standard split case and will see what it looks like once we get the body off of the frame next week. Working on a kit for gas tank conversions as well using DOT approved parts that will allow guys to instal these tanks in their 80's. Could be a sub tank or a main one like I am doing. I'll post pictures of the shifters later.

Here is the next box if parts thanks to the guys at Slee Offroad. Marks ABS re locator kit, RCV chromoly axles and front axle rebuild kit. Along with Aisin hubs, rebuild kit and 30m upgrade kit.
image.jpg

Last edited:
So not sure I'll need low range gears in here since the spread on the 6l90e is so wide. In fact fairly sure the overdrive in the fairey is redundant as well and will probably swap that into a 40 I'm doing with a h55 and 1hz, and use the other 87 split case I have.

Here's the gear ratios in the 6l90
image.jpg

Mix that with the low range in the black box of 2.78:1 and the low range in the split case and you get reeaaaly low with the 6l90 first gear of 4.03. So I'm thinking I'll be good at this point. Might change my mind later and I reserve that right. Jk. I will be using Speartechs shifter and having the tap shifting function enabled on it. So the 6l90 will be full manual when in low low, or whenever I want to be.

I really wanted to install a 06+ is350 wheel and use the paddle shifters, just haven't been able to work through it all yet. There is a guy who modified his and made it work in a is300 and I know that wheel will work in a cruiser so I just need to confirm a few things and may have my solution for wheel mounted paddles instead of the shifter mounted buttons I am currently planning on using.

I like the is300 wheel idea. That is my "when I get around to it" plan.

New parts just in. Now let the connect the dots begin. This is a 2007 is250 column with paddle shifters, a 2001 is300 steering column with sifter buttons, and a 2013 camaro ss column. Trying to combine a few other swap threads into one concept. It works on paper and on the test bench. Might just get it to in the vehicle. And yes I have the airbag under control, and I know the merits of a bag not "designed for the car. If the electronics truly work I'll expound more then.
image.jpg

The idea here us that when in low?!-low I will have switch to engage full manual mode in the transmission so it can be driven like a manual but without the clutch. It also eliminates the programming issues that would occur when output speed on the t-case because of the black box. I have a modified shifter from speartech that has shifters on it. F
This should do that as well as better top end towing

Where did you get all the columns?!

I pulled them from vehicles in salvage yards here locally. One specializes in imports high end stuff and has a lot of lexus parts.

Trust me when I say I have read your thread a dozen times and taken notes like crazy. Awesome build. May hit you up when I get stumped.

Happy to help anyway I can. If you want, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my cell phone number. if you do a search in the form for ls1, you may be able to pick up the other LS conversion build threads. There are at least 3 or 4 conversions already been done that I know of.

Total length bell housing to rear flange is 43.5". Using a tape under my cruiser and line of sight it is about 45" factory. So you are a touch shorter with this set up. Also the motor assembly will sit a bit farther forward so really you are even shorter then that I think. With a 4" lift I Anne's on double card and anyway so may be close there without having to stretch the shafts. Won't know for a while.

View attachment 1003498
Hi,
Just wondering what came of this build?

Inquisitive minds want to know...
dg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom