LX key alternatives? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Obviously everyone knows the story, 100 bucks+ for a Lexus cut key for my LX. WTF? How ridiculous is that?

What are the alternatives?

Obviously everyone knows the story, 100 bucks+ for a Lexus cut key for my LX. WTF? How ridiculous is that?

What are the alternatives?

I got a Lexus key blank from my dealer and had a lock smith cut it. Key blank was $40 and the cut was $40.

If you think $100 for a key is a lot you should get a new MB key cut. :rolleyes:

Call a locksmith and see if they have the blank and the machine to cut it. I bought a key from ebay for about $10 and had a locksmith cut it for $40. It took him a few tries (on the same blank) to get it right but it works fine now. It took him about 20 minutes to finally get it working. Make sure you bring the truck with you so he can test fit it. Given my experience, it will not work on the first try. My total cost was about $50.

^^ some of the ebay keys are not genuine blanks, and don't fit properly.

There's 2 locksmiths in my city that can cut Lexus keys for about $30-40 for the LX450. That includes the price of the aftermarket key blank.

The one on the left is my Lexus key and the one on the right is the other key for non-Lexus. I could easily get the blank cut identical to the right one from Home Depot or Lowe's but I'm not sure about the Lexus key. It looks different.
IMG_20110310_195852.jpg

A competent locksmith should be able to cut you a key for under $50 including the key.

I just bought an "ilco" blank off ebay for $10. I only have an ilco key and it works fine in the truck. I will keep you posted on the cutting and whether or not it works... $160 for a key from Lexu$ here, and because I live in BC (bring cash), the Toy/Lex dealer has to send my vin (US truck) to Toyota Canada, who then have to send it to Toyota USA, who then sends the code back to Toyota Canada, who then cuts the key, sends it to the stealership, who then bends me over... No thanks!

I posted about this in December. Broadway lock in Vancouver can mke you a dup. Calgary Lexus was only around $70 off the VIN, same proce for a dup.

This was $40.00 at a good local locksmith. No problems.

Last edited:
That is the exact same key blank I got for $10! Hope the cutting is good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom