Lucas Additive (Big Difference) (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cary said:
No chemical change is going to occur in gear fluid when run in a box short term as there is no cumbustion. It will get warmer but little else will happen.

People have run UOA's using Lucas and not using it on the same car, same oil, same interval and consitantly the Lucas causes there to be more wear metals in the engine.

I stand by my statement Lucas is snake oil. It is simply an oil thickner. Do your really think if there was some magical property to the stuff that Mobil/Exxon, Shell and all the other oil manufactures wouldn't have adopted it years ago? By dumping that crap in your oil, crankcase and other areas, you are basically saying that you believe that Lucas and you know more about lube design and blending than the manufactures that make the lube oils. Mark my words that in 10 years Lucas will be like Slick 50, Duralube, STP oil treatment, and the 50 other snake oil products that are out there. It doesn't cause any real harm, but it does not improve the oil you are already using and costs you money.
I'm pretty sure that Lucas has been around as long or longer than Slick 50 or Duralube. I remember seeing it in the stores at least 10 years ago. I also think additives like Slick 50 and such will help protect better than conventional oil alone, though maybe not as well as a full sythetic.

I did a test about 10 years ago with Duralube to see if it actually helped my mpg. I tracked my mileage for about 10 tanks before and 10 after and noticed about 1.5mpg improvement from what I recall. It wasen't a huge difference since I was getting about 34 mpg in the car I was testing, but it was still an improvement.

I learned about lucas from the Hummer forums I was a memeber of before this board. The hummer guys love lucas products, but usually only use them with other lucas products. They didn't use them in the engine, but the truck has 4 gearboxes on it and that's what I used in mine. The geared hubs used the Lucas gear oil but no additive. When I got the truck I changed all the hubs to synthetic and had many leaks. After switching to lucas with the same weight rating, there were no leaks at all. So maybe there is something about the lucas that is different. I know it's fricken sticky! I miss that damn truck. Same MPG but so much more of a rig.

Lucas
:rolleyes:

Erratic said:
I learned about lucas from the Hummer forums I was a memeber of before this board. The hummer guys love lucas products, but usually only use them with other lucas products. They didn't use them in the engine, but the truck has 4 gearboxes on it and that's what I used in mine. The geared hubs used the Lucas gear oil but no additive. When I got the truck I changed all the hubs to synthetic and had many leaks. After switching to lucas with the same weight rating, there were no leaks at all. So maybe there is something about the lucas that is different. I know it's fricken sticky! I miss that damn truck. Same MPG but so much more of a rig.

The last time I saw an off road comparison between the H-1 and the FZJ80 the 80 kicked the Hummers ass. I was suprised but still quite happy. I like the H1 but the Japs just make a better vehicle, I don't care what anybody says.

kennyv0826 said:
The last time I saw an off road comparison between the H-1 and the FZJ80 the 80 kicked the Hummers ass. I was suprised but still quite happy. I like the H1 but the Japs just make a better vehicle, I don't care what anybody says.

Oh I know. After driving both for a while and other off road rigs, you come to realize every vehicle has it's strengths. The H1 has HORRIBLE flex, and until late models did not have factory lockers. The H1 is also very wide for most trails. But what other truck will do the side slopes and have the approach angle and departure angle of the H1? And also water fording is a lot of fun. I drag bumpers on the 80. And to go back to the mileage thing. I had 38X15.5 PJ dirtgrip tires, and still got 13MPG (diesel). I like my 80, but for the gas mileage it gets, it should be more of a truck.

I agree. The H-1 is great at what it is designed for and not so great at some of the things the 80's do well. I think anyone will agree that 80's fuel mileage is dismal at best. A heavy vehicle with full time AWD and a non-effecient engine (by Toyota standards) all add up to poor mpg. But even super heros have at least one weakness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom