Lube for steering wheel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my steering wheel has always whined and sounds like it needs lube. Anybody recommend lube and where? Looks to be a grinding noise coming from the spring loaded brass colored screw going into the back of wheel. Has a green color to it

I also use tilt a lot and that appears like it could use a squirt of something.
3889AB40-160D-4147-89CE-E8A119240AAD.jpeg

If you think the clock spring contact, it's foe the horn, is making noise push it so it doesn't make contact and turn wheel.
The noise may be in a hard to reach spot. Spray lube from under and point back at driver. There is a bushing or something in there that squeaks, especially when it's cold. Many here have had the squeaky steering wheel. There are some pics on mud somewhere. Likely found by searching steering wheel squeak or similar. As for what kind or type of lubricant I have no suggestions. I use whatever I have, except WD40.

Last edited:
Thinking back I want to say it was a dielectric grease back there, so the right way would mean that.

Or you could try going easy & making grease / silicone stew back there with a can of dry lithium lube with a tube tip, no having to remove the wheel.

:meh:

If the squeak can be lubed then Heavy Duty Penetrating Grease is the solution. Sprays like a liquid then sets up as a grease.

If it's rubber use 303 protectant.

It’s a plastic bearing/bushing (don’t remember the correct terminology) that is under the dash, higher up in the steering column. Spray it with some silicone or white lithium grease and it will stop.

Bumping this because I just solved this issue on my very squeaky/scratchy wheel.

The loaded brass screw is for the horn contact. I pulled it back away from the back of the steering wheel and then turned my wheel to confirm that the noise went away completely. Removing this loaded screw will also fix the issue BUT you wont have a working horn so just FYI. I need my horn so i proceeded to the next step:

I tried a few sprays but nothing was working. So I cleaned up the metal ring on the back of the steering wheel very well. I also cleaned the tip of the loaded brass part. Both the ring and the screw tip were dry, dusty/dirty. After that i used a q-tip to with all-purpose grease and spread that all over the surface of the metal ring and the loaded brass tip. Not huge globs, but just enough to evenly coat the mating surfaces. I also made sure the grease i was using was odorless.

a few lock-to-locks to get everything lubed up and now the wheel is whisper quiet and the horn still functions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom