Lower Mileage GX470 vs. Higher Mileage GX460 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright, I am looking for input from you all.

I have settled on getting my wife a GX of some kind for her next vehicle, however I am having trouble deciding between a GX470 and a GX460. Our budget is in the $15,000 - $20,000 range. So based on the GX's in my area we could get a lower mileage (70,000 - 90,000 miles) GX470 or a higher mileage (110,000+ miles) GX460. This will be a vehicle we plan to keep for 10+ years and well past 200,000 miles.

Which direction do you all think makes the most sense and why?

Depends. What's more important to you: how long you have it or how long until you reach 200k miles? Will it be driven a lot or little?
Little miles = 460 vs Lots of miles = 470 Starting with a lower mileage vehicle when you plan to put a ton of miles on it just make more sense to me. If it was just a weekend fun truck why not start with the higher miles rig?

Depends. What's more important to you: how long you have it or how long until you reach 200k miles? Will it be driven a lot or little?
Little miles = 460 vs Lots of miles = 470 Starting with a lower mileage vehicle when you plan to put a ton of miles on it just make more sense to me. If it was just a weekend fun truck why not start with the higher miles rig?
It would definitely be a daily driver for work, and we would use it for road trips. Probably something like 10,000-12,000 miles per year.

It seems like it really would come down to how it was cared for. If you are comparing 80k to 110k at the same price with the same condition get the 460. This kind of conflicts with my prior comment but all factors being the same the 460 will just simply be newer (fresher rubber, less dry rot) and the difference in miles is negligible. At 10k a year both will give you 10 years of good use. But if the money savings are on the 470 or the spread on cost is significant, a low miles 470 thats well cared for will last you a VERY long time. This would start to really change if you are comparing 70k miles to 130k miles on 470/460. My best advice set a budget buy what you can afford and then look for the best condition of either one for that set price.

470 > 460

For your wife work and family vehicle definitely get 460. The KDSS are standard on 460 and it really make road driving much saver and confident.

For a toy 470 seem to be a lot more forgiving beside the weak rear axle.

GX470 Cast Iron Block > GX460 Aluminum Block
GX470 Timing Belt < GX460 Timing Chain

For a wife and road trips? GX460 FTW. Fold flat 3rd row, lighter engine, 6sp transmission (1 more than GX470), newer electronics. If you were going to work it or offroad it I'd push the GX470 more.

For wife, not a rig, I say 460. IF my wife's GS430 will ever die (2006@103k), we plan to get a 460 for her. This would allow me to go full blown on my 470 :)

I'll take newer 460 with higher miles for 10 year longevity goal which may still be a bit much considering the cars you looking at already have a decade into them. If you want a decade get the newest lower mileage 460 you can afford.

The main benefit to gx470s is the entry price if you paying premium for low mileage to get one then it negates its main benefit.

Choosing 460 with 100k miles at $20k-25k vs a 470 with 150k miles for $10-12k is an easy choice to save some serious cash.

Choosing a high mileage 460 with 150k miles for $20k vs a low mileage 470 with 100k for $15k, now things get more interesting, the 460 being newer may be worth the extra 5k and likely being a lot newer year I'd take the 460 in this scenario, also a huge plus no timing belt to worry about.

What's your goal? Why not just get something with good fuel economy? Unless you want that Lexus refinement+offroad capability, I don't see a point in getting a GX for your wife. Is she offroading this thing or something? Get her a CR-V.

What's your goal? Why not just get something with good fuel economy? Unless you want that Lexus refinement+offroad capability, I don't see a point in getting a GX for your wife. Is she offroading this thing or something? Get her a CR-V.

Haha, brutal...!

At least keep her in the Toyota family, how 'bout a Highlander?!

You forgot one thing GX is a tank compared to a CR-V lol, if wifey is surrounded by all that metal and 4x4 goodness not to mention lots of safety features its selling point would not just offroad capability. Also 3 rows for a growing family is also a benefit, but you have to pay to play because compared to a cr-v there is a bigger price difference for these benefits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom