Lower Links (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
From Metall Tech's site:

"Offset Lower Links:

When we designed the rear long travel suspension system for the FJ Cruiser/4Runner, we quickly realized a flaw in the Toyota suspension links' design. With the increased suspension travel the links contact the axle housing not allowing for full freedom of movement for the axle. By doing an offset notch we simply moved the bushing to sit higher on the link tube which in turn provides greater clearance between the axle housing and the link. This was also found to be true on the Land Cruiser."

Huh? This is untrue for our Land Cruisers, but is true on the GX470 etc design. Additionally, this is a photo from their website that shows a customers install where they are installed what I believe to be incorrectly. From what I understand the Johnny Joint should be mounted on the frame end not the axle end.
1596206741655.png

I understand the other explanation of the offset ends for the 80 links is that it is supposedly designed to land the control arm lower on the axle so when sliding down your lower links it will help from getting a rock caught on the axle mount itself. I haven't ever seen that as an issue.

I am looking to replace my lowers and wanted to see if I am the only one who wants to run them upside down and effectively raise the point where the control arm sits on the axle mount? This would effectively make the arms sit more horizontal and possibly have better handling characteristics. Anyone see any concerns with this besides having to pull the zerks and replace with plugs until its time to re-grease?

From Metall Tech's site:

"Offset Lower Links:

When we designed the rear long travel suspension system for the FJ Cruiser/4Runner, we quickly realized a flaw in the Toyota suspension links' design. With the increased suspension travel the links contact the axle housing not allowing for full freedom of movement for the axle. By doing an offset notch we simply moved the bushing to sit higher on the link tube which in turn provides greater clearance between the axle housing and the link. This was also found to be true on the Land Cruiser."

Huh? This is untrue for our Land Cruisers, but is true on the GX470 etc design. Additionally, this is a photo from their website that shows a customers install where they are installed what I believe to be incorrectly. From what I understand the Johnny Joint should be mounted on the frame end not the axle end.
View attachment 2389112
I understand the other explanation of the offset ends for the 80 links is that it is supposedly designed to land the control arm lower on the axle so when sliding down your lower links it will help from getting a rock caught on the axle mount itself. I haven't ever seen that as an issue.

I am looking to replace my lowers and wanted to see if I am the only one who wants to run them upside down and effectively raise the point where the control arm sits on the axle mount? This would effectively make the arms sit more horizontal and possibly have better handling characteristics. Anyone see any concerns with this besides having to pull the zerks and replace with plugs until its time to re-grease?
Only going to comment on: the desire to change handling characteristics. The handling will not be effected by how you install the link. It doesn't matter one bit what the tube connecting the two rod ends does (shape wise), the end points are fixed (relative to each other), so handling will only be effected by a different length. Think of a crazy straw, the Kool-aid still ends up in your mouth, just takes a little longer to get there. Delivers the same net result though.

edit: a letter

Only going to comment on: the desire to change handling characteristics. The handling will not be effected by how you install the link. It doesn't matter one bit what the tube connecting the two rod ends does (shape wise), the end points are fixed (relative to each other), so handling will only be effected by a different length. Think of a crazy straw, the Kool-aid still ends up in your mouth, just takes a little longer to get there. Delivers the same net result though.

Okay that makes total sense. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom