Lower Control Arm Bushing Alignment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I see the FSM calls out a specific 90 arrangement of the bushings when pressed in the lower rear control arms. When going to re-install on the truck does it matter which bushing orientation is on the axle side vs frame side?

Capture.PNG

Is the link orientation called out somewhere in the fsm? I’m surprised I can seem to find it. Also interesting my ‘95 manual is different than the 96 pdf. This would have made me think both ends are clocked at 90deg to the link.

F325C952-7606-4B97-B357-594CD8B380D0.jpeg

Interesting. Why?

LOL Not helpful. Seriously why would the orientation be changed?
It was a change issued by Toyota, presumably because they saw an excessive failure rate in the bushings mounted in the original configuration.

Therefore, an easy fix for any that are being replaced.

Maybe the Guru, @cruiserdan can give a much more edumacated answer.

Well when I installed mine I went per the '96 FSM so once I flip the lower control arm to get the frame side/axle side orientation correct I'll be old school up front and new school in the back.

I wonder how much was a reliability thing vs a ride quality thing. At least looking at the change to the rear control arms, the original configuration should be the most stiff with the solid section of both bushings oriented along the load (link axis). The change to orient the void in the bushing along that axis should make the lower link more compliant allowing the axle to wrap a bit more. I could see that making gear shifts and transitioning from park to drive, etc a bit smoother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom