Low power and running very rich (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1972 FJ40 with the 2F engine in it (desmogged). Still has the original 3-speed tranny, and when I pull hills and come off of a complete stop, it tries to fall on its face. The gas fumes are almost enough to knock you out, and that's with the top off and no bikini top or doors (wheez). It's so bad, that sometimes it smells like raw fuel is coming out of the tailpipe. A little more about original and non-OEM equipment: still has the 1F dizzy, does have the 2F carb (which was rebuilt about 3 years ago), aftermarket headers with aftermarket pipes and exhaust (I can't find OEM exhaust manifold anywhere for a descent price in good shape), put in a new intake/exhaust manifold about a year ago and cannot locate any leaks now, aftermarket (Autozone I think) fuel cap that is supposed to be vented, but does allow a partial vacuum to form in the gas tank (everytime I gas up, there is a sucking sound when I take the cap off), put in a direct replacement mechanical fuel pump (not OEM, but direct bolt on replacement). Compression is even and about 95 psi as I recall (I've slept since then).

This seems like a no-brainer, right? It's running rich...Duh. The engine idles great. The timing is on. It doesn't smell rich at idle, but it does occasionally blow watery soot out of the tailpipe onto the wall in my garage on startup (I have acquired the aftermarket cardboard box to prevent further marking of my walls). As far as I know, the 2F carb still has the original jets. At this point, I am holding an FJ60 dizzy, but I haven't installed it yet. I'm leaning toward the spark side as the culprit, or maybe the exhaust system that was installed about 2 years ago, but wanted to consult the knowledgeable folks on this site. Thanks in advance for your help!

Flooding? Stuck float?
Or not burning the fuel?
Wet inside dist cap?
But I've only got a few neurons working

The site glass is 1/2 way up when I'm just sitting there. I haven't done anything to determine it while I'm running (like hooking up a gopro or anything)

Jm559, I did have a float that had a leak and was filled with gas. I replaced it with an SORRY float that is some type of plastic/foam that is solid (about 8 months ago-forgot to mention that).

I haven't looked at the dizzy cap in a while, but did when I did the points last (over a year ago)

The fuel just passes through and out the exhaust. Either an incomplete burn or a missed spark it seems like.

I put in the dizzy from the 60. Problem gone! Thanks everyone.

Did you also replace the side cover (dished for larger dizzy) and use the one vacuum connex to carb? Replacing the dizzy, you had to retime it, and I believe that was part of the orig. issue, dependent on altitute, and air-fuel mix setting at carb...

I did have to put in the dished pushrod cover and re-time it and have to or not, ended up tweaking the idle speed. She's still a little rich under acceleration, and I'm still getting backfire on coast (doubting my vacuum advance connecrion), but it's still night and day in terms of having more power. I'm pretty sure something was "off" with that old dizzy.

And always remember to immediately check oil pressure after switching dizzys. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom