loud clunk when in low need some help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Alex79

SILVER Star
Threads
When in low turning sharp i hear a loud clunking . At first i thought it was bur fields swap them out. It did not fix the problem. It does not cluck when in hi, i only hear it in low and not always. Any of you guys had to deal with some thing like that?? Please advise.

My guess is is your center diff lock kicks on in low (unless you've done the pin 7 mod) and that is causing the noise. If that is the case it is probably normal. When you put it in low does the center diff lock light come on on the dash?

i am not sure what is 7pin mode. Lights do come on when in low. When in low on dirt going in circles at a times i can go two may be three times around before i hear the noise. Are you saying center diff kicks in and out and that's what makes the noise? I thought that when in low center diff lock engaged and its on all the time. ?
The noise sounds like a really bad burfields.

It is the pin 7 mod - do a search on it here. It disconnects the wire that tells the center diff lock to engage automatically when in low range. If your cruiser does not have the manual switch already you need to add a CDL switch at the same time so you can still engage the CDL when you need it.

You are not really supposed to be using the CDL on pavement or to make sharp turns with it engaged. It beats up the drive line when you do that and the birfs are the weak link there.

I used it in the field on a dirt road it makes that noise. Here is what i did so far. I disconnected front drive line and the noise is gone. I connected it back and in 4wd hi pressed that CDL switch ( i have it by the way) it makes that noise and its loud when turning. I am wondering if transfer case is the issue? Any one had that problem with transfer case?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom