Los Angeles Area Stereo Installer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, All!

The Aux stereo input in my Nav-equipped 2008 died. Leaving me one step closer to having the headunit swapped out for something carplay compatible.

My understanding is that replacement is a fairly straightforward process when using something like a Beatsonic adapter, etc. All climate and steering wheel controls can be kept.

Regarding DIY installation: while moderately handy, I have neither the time nor the inclination to root around in my console for an indeterminate amount of time, only to end up hoping I didn’t screw something up.

That being said, can anyone recommend an independent stereo installer in Los Angeles? I’ll happily take it to a chain if you got a good deal and your stuff works right. I know there are some hoops to jump through with the install, but I got a quote for $1200.00 (NOT including the cost of new headunit or adapters) from a local Al & Ed’s shop. Yes, labor costs money. But that’s because the guy obviously didn’t know that they’re are relatively easy, high-quality workarounds.

So I’m hoping one of you Angelenos out there has done this for much less, and can recommend their installer to me.

Thanks!

I wouldn’t call any of the solutions to go from nav to aftermarket easy or plug and play, unless you want to go with a Tesla-style unit or one of the Teyes units that have surged in popularity. Just know those units have their drawbacks.

If you want to go with a head unit like an alpine or Sony or kenwood, you’ll have to do either a non-nav conversion, or add a head unit somewhere in the center console in addition to the nav unit (using aftermarket adapters).

I’d just go all in and do a full non-nav conversion OR keep it simple and grab a Teyes unit. I wouldn’t spend the money to have a shop split the difference and install a head unit alongside the nav unit.

You might have trouble finding a shop that’s willing to do the non-nav conversion. At least, I couldn’t get any reputable shop around Atlanta to do it. That being said, it’s easy, just time consuming. Took me about 12 hours on a Sunday. I’d never touched car electronics before that, but everything works great.

I wouldn’t call any of the solutions to go from nav to aftermarket easy or plug and play, unless you want to go with a Tesla-style unit or one of the Teyes units that have surged in popularity. Just know those units have their drawbacks.

If you want to go with a head unit like an alpine or Sony or kenwood, you’ll have to do either a non-nav conversion, or add a head unit somewhere in the center console in addition to the nav unit (using aftermarket adapters).

I’d just go all in and do a full non-nav conversion OR keep it simple and grab a Teyes unit. I wouldn’t spend the money to have a shop split the difference and install a head unit alongside the nav unit.

You might have trouble finding a shop that’s willing to do the non-nav conversion. At least, I couldn’t get any reputable shop around Atlanta to do it. That being said, it’s easy, just time consuming. Took me about 12 hours on a Sunday. I’d never touched car electronics before that, but everything works great.

Thanks for the input.

Using adapters and having two screens is exactly what I want to do!

There’s a Pioneer carplay single din headunit with a large retractable display. I really don’t care about having two screens, since one is still needed to control HVAC, and the Pioneer screen will be stowed when not in use.

Not interested in non-nav conversion really.

LA is pretty big, so hoping someone out there ”knows a guy”.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom