Loose caliper bolts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've read a few threads where people have had their caliper bolts loosen up on them or completely come out and cause major problems. While rebuilding my front end shortly after getting my truck, I discovered one of my caliper bolts was missing a washer and the other bolts weren't very tight. I remembered a pretty cool locking washer that I've read about quite a while ago and figured I'd try them out. They are two piece locking washers that require more torque to remove them than the torque you install them at. They will not loosen. I've had them on my truck for about 9 months now and they work. They are expensive but if you have any bolts that you don't want to work loose from vibration then these will do the job.

http://www.nord-lock.com/

This is the part number that I used for the caliper bolts. I measured the factory washers and these were pretty close. I believe these nord lock washers are slightly smaller outside diameter than the stock ones.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=0129510

After their initial torquing they need to be re-torqued a little while later so the serrations on the washers bite onto the surfaces properly. After that they stay as tight as you set them until you break them loose.

Thread locker " gray, green or blue" work great too...

Nice find! To this point all we do with caliper bolts is to make SURE that the mating surfaces are clean and flat. Then apply loctite and then torque to spec.

Those fancy washers look like cheap insurance. Their video explanation is impressive!

Thread locker " gray, green or blue" work great too...

I wouldn't trust thread locker on something so important as the brakes. I know that everyone has gotten by with the standard flat washers for so long but for the added peace of mind that these washers give the price is well worth it.

I've torqued my bolts down to the 90ft-lb spec and it takes more than that to remove the bolts due to the mechanical resistance these washers give. I just figured I could give others a different option for securing their calipers. YMMV.

Nice find! To this point all we do with caliper bolts is to make SURE that the mating surfaces are clean and flat. Then apply loctite and then torque to spec.

Those fancy washers look like cheap insurance. Their video explanation is impressive!

When I had my WRX STI people were using these on their aftermarket headers and turbo downpipes after the standard washers continuously loosened up and caused leaks. These things cured the problem, red loctite would cook off of these parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom