Looking to Buy, Concerned about Rust. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone, I've been looking around for GX470 for a bit and came across an 09 in decent shape. However I learned that the car came from Michigan and as I looked underneath I came across a bit of Rust. How concerned should I be with this level of rust?
Rust4.jpg

Rust1.jpg

Rust2.jpg
Rust3.jpg

Would you run from this level of Rust?

Naw. A little care and Fluid Film will have it in check.

Probably still have a fair share of seized bolts here and there, but that doesnt seem terrible by any means.

You know, stuff like this is kind of funny. On GXOR facebook group they would be yelling at the top of their lungs that that is too rusty to consider and to walk. Yet in the VW groups that would be considered california rust free.

Me personally, it shouldn't be a problem but it is a bit more surface corrosion than I would like to have. Nothing a good afternoon with a wire brush and por15 can't fix though. If the car has a good service history and is otherwise a good buy, go for it. if you are already on the fence feeling iffy and this is the straw that breaks the camels back then so it goes.

Looks good. I would put some Fluid film on it and enjoy. Check the front rad support as those seem to rust out sometimes, but looking at your photos doesn't invoke any scary thoughts.

+1 for the Rad support. The underside of my car looks pretty clean but that one particular area was a bit crusty. When I did my radiator replacement at 120k I took the opportunity to wire brush it and por 15. Good as new. I think I have some photos too. I highly recommend por15 with their quick start kit should you need it.

Looks fine. These fully boxed frames are super durable. My GX has a 2 10" holes behind the rear body mount on the drivers side frame on 2 of the frame surfaces. I'm cutting it out, treating the inside and welding in patches. It will be as good as new when done. Then again being from the NE rust is nothing new. Fluid Film everything every year.

I'll echo what everyone else is saying. Doesn't look too bad. I have an upstate NY GX and it looks like that or worse. I've slowed it down with corroseal, spray paint, and fluid film at separate times. In the snow belt, as you know, this is what we have to deal with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom