Looking for opinions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just wondering if anybody know's anything about this rig, and looking for opinions on engine capabilities and such, any help is appreciated.
Thanks for Fort. Mac was great time lots of good people.
Thanks
Jeep Guy

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/iconic-1991-toyota-land-cruiser-80-series-4-0-3f-e-automatic/1326351068?siteLocale=en_CA

whoa whoa whoa jeep guy, your truck did very well on the run, whats going on here?!

that 91 is a 3fe; looks like it was likely had mostly family use. The 3fe engine is the more dated, slower, less powerful engine for the fj80 series- withs some differences in brakes and axles. *i'll let the experts chime in* However, it does have many followers on this board. What's very desirable about this truck, aside that it looks a lot like mine, is the cloth seats... those are nice!

If you'd like my opinion; mileage is high, and asking a little too much for a 3fe unless the condition in person and records really demands that price tag... It's been posted for a while; so it might be worth a look and a talk with the seller.

whoa whoa whoa jeep guy, your truck did very well on the run, whats going on here?!

that 91 is a 3fe; looks like it was likely had mostly family use. The 3fe engine is the more dated, slower, less powerful engine for the fj80 series- withs some differences in brakes and axles. *i'll let the experts chime in* However, it does have many followers on this board. What's very desirable about this truck, aside that it looks a lot like mine, is the cloth seats... those are nice!

If you'd like my opinion; mileage is high, and asking a little too much for a 3fe unless the condition in person and records really demands that price tag... It's been posted for a while; so it might be worth a look and a talk with the seller.

Thanks, found out after driving the button from the top of my hat into my skull a couple times, " Fool me twice", I might need a little more
head room or start wearing a helmet.

Thanks, found out after driving the button from the top of my hat into my skull a couple times, " Fool me twice", I might need a little more
head room or start wearing a helmet.

What you need is called a hz75 ;)

let us know if you need advice, Dean has good philosophy.

I wasn’t sure about the gas motors. So when is the break on the better motor. What year I mean?

I wasn’t sure about the gas motors. So when is the break on the better motor. What year I mean?

93 onwards in the north american market.

The 3FE as an engine was carried over from the 62 I believe; has about 150-160 hp. Coming from the jeep you will feel the power loss. Yes a 1FZ is more desirable especially in the north american market. Owners of the 3FE engines do rave about their longevity and reliability; so that's worth something, considering all lcs are slow.

As a side note These models do not have abs, no air bags, they have drums in the back, AWD is standard. I'm not sure if there is axle or brake parts overlap between these and the mini trucks (but it's a moot point).

Last edited:
I'm probably the only one who spends much time in here that has lots of experience with the 3FE. I love them (and the modified derivatives that I have), but I wouldn't put the 3FE powered FJ80 high on the list for a new cruiser owner. I'm just about to head home from the rig for a day off, I'll likely post up some more thoughts here once I'm a couple fingers into the brown bottle in a couple hours. :D

Are there really longevity issues with a 1fz though. People on this forum complain about head gaskets on a 25 year old truck...
Saudi guys are running some serious boost through them, they are stout.

The OBD2 on the 1fz is also nice as it opens up diagnostic and monitoring options.
The better AFR control on the 1fz also gives you the option of forced induction via the TRD blower or turbo kits that are in the works.

The crappy brakes on the 1st gen 80's would bug me also, on my to do list is improving the braking which is already better.

Personally I wouldnt go near a 3fe. My loaded up 80 is over 7k lbs and through passes at altitude still does pretty well. The 3fe would be a dog...

I believe they are also semi float axles, whereas the 1fz equipped units are full. @potlatch4805 might know more.

yes semi float for the 3fe, im(l)o the least of concseems.

Last edited:
Are there really longevity issues with a 1fz though. People on this forum complain about head gaskets on a 25 year old truck...
Saudi guys are running some serious boost through them, they are stout.

The OBD2 on the 1fz is also nice as it opens up diagnostic and monitoring options.
The better AFR control on the 1fz also gives you the option of forced induction via the TRD blower or turbo kits that are in the works.

The crappy brakes on the 1st gen 80's would bug me also, on my to do list is improving the braking which is already better.

Personally I wouldnt go near a 3fe. My loaded up 80 is over 7k lbs and through passes at altitude still does pretty well. The 3fe would be a dog...

I believe they are also semi float axles, whereas the 1fz equipped units are full. @potlatch4805 might know more.
please take what I say with a grain of salt (except my Saudi comment) as I'm a junior around here.

the longevity- yes, the 1fz is reliable, yet it has one engine weakness that the 3fe does not have; at cost of weight savings and less HP.

the saudis- yes theyre doing crazy things to those engines, judging how they break brand new 79s... few if any of us if any have the budget, and none of us have the availability they have for parts. they also have a few 1fz experts worldwide there to the point they have been known to import an engineer or two. different level, IMO.

please talk to us more about these bolt on turbo kits.

on brakes- it just adds to the excitement!

Mr Jeep- I guess the verdict around here is a pass on that 80. yet, im of the opinion that If they sold it for considerably less, 2500-3000 and it was in good condition it could be considered. there was a minty 3fe with full floating axles and some upgrades for sale in Calgary a few months back. I wonder what it sold for.

there was a gorgeous late model gasser in whitehorse on kijiji. 40th anniversary triple locked.

or buy the diesel blue/gray one that was at the underlander driven by Steve and his family. IT could be for sale for a quality new owner.

Looks like you got lots of valid guidance away from that rig.

I'll save my drunken "these guys with their 80s" type tirade about how perfectly good drivetrains get a bad rep for around a campfire some time. ;)Somehow I have a real knack of saying the exact right or wrong thing at exactly the right or wrong time after too much homebrew.

Looks like you got lots of valid guidance away from that rig.

I'll save my drunken "these guys with their 80s" type tirade about how perfectly good drivetrains get a bad rep for around a campfire some time. ;)Somehow I have a real knack of saying the exact right or wrong thing at exactly the right or wrong time after too much homebrew.

I'm interested in that talk but also what you have done to the 3FEs.

or buy the diesel blue/gray one that was at the underlander driven by Steve and his family. IT could be for sale for a quality new owner.

What magical truck is this? Yours is green, isn't it? Or is it magical grey..? I think I may have the color crossed in my mind with the FJC your dad picked up.

Last edited:
I'm interested in that talk but also what you have done to the 3FEs.

Mated them with 2Fs to birth the engine Toyota should have put in the 62. 2FE - 2F bottom end (longer stroke) with the head, induction and EFI of the 3FE. I built my first one nearly 10 years ago and have flogged it since (you may remember my 62 from Rubithaw 2 years ago? Engine is still good and strong, bu the truck has succumbed to road salt and severe trail abuse), and have a second sitting in my pig project, but it hasn't gone more than a couple miles under its own power yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom