Looking at 4th Gen Runner with 135K on the ticker... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Skillet

Skillet
Threads
Thinking about buying a 4th gen V8 SR5 (no XREAS) for a back-up camping / driver. There is a 2004 nearby that has 135K on and all maintenance records up to 100K. Aside from the timing belt, tranny cooler leak and standard stuff, anything I should be looking out for? The rig sounds immaculate and has a rear custom camping setup in the back...dude's asking $12,500. Clean Carfax, new tires, new brakes, no smoking or pets...

What say the 'mud runner gurus?

EDIT: BTW, I know this is over BB on the vehicle, but wasn't really sure what a clean rig like this goes for. I know Tacos go for over BB, but not positive about runners.

Last edited:
Good. They have a known issue with the Trans cooler puking and the timing belt is spend, but otherwise good, if ugly, trucks. I prefer the 5th gen.

The 4th gen doesn't have a timing belt. It has a chain.

Curious where you got this information. Just had the dealer replace the one in my 04 V8 4Runner this summer when it hit 90K. Had the same dealer replace the one in a my 100 series when I still had it. From what I understand the 4.7 V8 has a belt, the 5.7 V8 is a chain. I believe the 1ZF in the 80 series is a chain. Guessing the 4.0 V6 in the 4th generation is a belt also.

Curious where you got this information. Just had the dealer replace the one in my 04 V8 4Runner this summer when it hit 90K. Had the same dealer replace the one in a my 100 series when I still had it. From what I understand the 4.7 V8 has a belt, the 5.7 V8 is a chain. I believe the 1ZF in the 80 series is a chain. Guessing the 4.0 V6 in the 4th generation is a belt also.
Sorry I thought he was talking about the v6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom