LONG-ER rear suspension travel with KDSS? (Solved/under testing) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anybody got longer rear suspension travel with KDSS?
Which shock and what do you have to do to make it fit?

Ever since I raise my suspension from 2" to 3" lift the stability control got activate a bit to early for my liking. It seems this is caused by rear shock that are too short and top out. The wheel speed sensor are so sensitive that as soon as the tire lift the ground it activate the stability control.

Off road it actually gives me a lot less problems. Longer travel definitely nice but the KDSS keep the balance front and rear which I prefer.

Currently running Toughdog adjustable and ay 24" fully extended it only offer 2" of extension. At static position the shock sits at 22" long.

Not sure the regular long travel would work with KDSS. Is there something adjustable that is in between? Don't really want to rip KDSS out. It actually one of the the thing the makes the GX really special to me.

Last edited:
This KDSS equipped GX470 run Radflo but not sure how long. He said he 3D printed something to make it work but no details.
FB_IMG_1663769599538.jpg
FB_IMG_1663769542270.jpg

This mine. It already have:
1. KDSS spacer
2. Eimkeith Panhard correction bracket
3. Ironman 4X4 KDSS adjustable panhard bar
20221027_161119.jpg

This is the clearance at 26" shock extension. Without Ironman adjustable KDSS Panhard bar it would already touch each other.
20221027_161456.jpg

Top is GX460 30 mm rear KDSS bar
Bottom is GX470 33 mm rear KDSS bar
As you can see the the passenger side are at different locations. The ironman KDSS Panhard bar totaly at wrong location for GX470 but does not seems it's going to be a problem if you run 1-2" of bump stop extensions.
67774-46f17a99676a20af55caccd27f73cc9c.jpg

Anybody know what is the difference between Tacoma VS 4Runner rear lower shock bushing? I know they are different as tacoma goes to bolt directly with double shear mount, 120 and 150 require 19 mm ID bushing that bolted to axle housing stud.
Found out a lot of Tacoma long travel rear shock are about perfect length wise.

Dobindons MRA59-A687 for LC80-100-200 and 23 Tundra
$1280
The upper bushing stem are larger. 17mm vs 14 mm and might need to drill the frame bigger.
I was warned that the valving would be too stiff. The stock weight of 80 series are similar to GX470 but 200 series are 900 lbs more.

Tacoma rear long travel shocks:
Dobinson MRA59-A941. 3 way adjustable
$1080
16.5″ compressed length, 26.9″ extended
Might be a bit too long for GX470. GX460 fixed side link clear the Ironman panhard bar properly and might be OK with this shock.

Rough Country Vertex 8 step adjustable compression only
About $800
26.06" extended
15.66" collapsed

Rough Country V2 monotube
About $259. Reviews seems to be similar to FOX 2.0 IFP
Same 26.06 extended but a bit longer collapse at 16.03 due to IFP design.

People always frown on rough country due to perception of cheap brands. They seems to improve quite a bit lately. They definitely not aiming to be prestigious brand. Their target are still to be the lower cost of the options.

Bought Dobinson MRA59-A687 for 4" lifted Land Cruiser 80 series or 22 Tundra. The are 26.5" long compared to stock at 23" long.
Pros :
1. They come with 3 different set of bushing size and the smaller one fits with no modification.
2. Valving are actually perfect for my truck that estimated are about 5200 lbs. sprung-5600 Lbs. total. Still plenty of adjustment up and down.

Cons:
1. The reservoir bracket are wrong so you need to get different bracket or buy the one for MRA59-A575.
2. Even with Ironman KDSS Panhard bar, Eimkeith PCK and Treaty Oak KDSS spacer it still max out at 25.5" and will destroy KDSS ram. So I need to come up with another solution.

The Green line is what think would be the safe KDSS travel limit. At max articulation longer shocks would be fine, but straight up and down is when the panhard bar would collide with KDSS bar. Hit it hard and the ram might get damaged.
Screenshot_20230217_102703_Excel.jpg

End up relocating the KDSS up and got rid of the KDSS spacer. Which give another advantage of raising KDSS out of harms way too.
20230216_171836.jpg

Ran out of ramp to test max flex. Still have plenty of clearance between KDSS and Panhard bar. Shock still have travel left

Last edited:
Finally found some ramp at industrial complex to fully test it. So far it was a success. I might even go back to OEM panhard and sell Ironman KDSS Panhard bar.

The KDSS interference happens at full straight up and down travel and not during articulation.

20230218_144355.jpg

20230218_144054.jpg

20230218_144130.jpg

KDSS ram fully extended
20230218_144406.jpg

KDSS ram fully compressed.
20230218_143931.jpg

Never mind the bungee cord. That was left over for the DIY Aux tank that was started but still haven't got finished yet🤭

Anybody interested to buy my KDSS spacer and Ironman KDSS Panhard bar? The panhard are better suited for 150 series chassis. The KDSS spacer are GX470 specific.

Last edited:
Finally found some ramp at industrial complex to fully test it. So far it was a success. I might even go back to OEM panhard and sell Ironman KDSS Panhard bar.

The KDSS interference happens at full straight up and down travel and not during articulation.

View attachment 3251602

View attachment 3251604

View attachment 3251637

KDSS ram fully extended
View attachment 3251605

KDSS ram fully compressed.
View attachment 3251606
Never mind the bungee cord. That was left over for the DIY Aux tank that was started but still haven't got finished yet🤭

Anybody interested to buy my KDSS spacer and Ironman KDSS Panhard bar? The panhard are better suited for 150 series chassis. The KDSS spacer are GX470 specific.
Great documentation on getting rear long travel to work on a kdss GX470.

Most people say it’s not possible but you figured it out! Kudos

I’m also trying to figure out how to do extended or long travel on my non-kdss.

I’m using a timbren 5” rear bumpstop that can compress 2.25” so I figured out it perfect size to protect my rear 33” 285 tire from hitting the top of the well well.

You are using a different stock rear bumpstop than I had on my GX470. You have like a 4Runner smaller bumpstop and that’s why you ended up needing a spacer.

Did you consider a rear bumpstop that compresses like the timbren? Just wondering

And when you ride at 24.25” from hub to fender on the 701Vs, how much cargo load you have?

You are using a different stock rear bumpstop than I had on my GX470. You have like a 4Runner smaller bumpstop and that’s why you ended up needing a spacer.

Did you consider a rear bumpstop that compresses like the timbren? Just wondering

And when you ride at 24.25” from hub to fender on the 701Vs, how much cargo load you have?
Its a Wheelers Superbump. It was before durobump or Perry Parts become available. I haven't found a reason to upgrade yet.

I though I would be right around 600 lbs when I got my aux tank built. But most of my load only I the vehicle during a trip. Most of the time its only about 300 lbs extra.

I am over estimating my weight. It's a bit too tall for my liking. Ride is great as it is still less than my previous fixed rate rear spring.

Its a Wheelers Superbump. It was before durobump or Perry Parts become available. I haven't found a reason to upgrade yet.

I though I would be right around 600 lbs when I got my aux tank built. But most of my load only I the vehicle during a trip. Most of the time its only about 300 lbs extra.

I am over estimating my weight. It's a bit too tall for my liking. Ride is great as it is still less than my previous fixed rate rear spring.
Got it on the bumpstop. As long you measure it right to prevent your wheel from rubbing the top of the wheel well or preventing the shock from being the bumpstop…then any bumpstop works. You won’t be hitting the rear bumpstop that often anyways.

And I’ve been wondering about the 701Vs but they require too much weight to hold at 2” which is my preferred rear riding height (23” hub to fender).

My 675Vs with a 3/4” and 3/8” spacers are too soft to hold at 2” with my gear fully loaded but work great when I only have half my gear in there.

Anyways, thanks for the responses. It’s been helping me geek out over the right components for extended rear travel at 23” hub to fender.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom