locker decision 83 toy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
im about ready to regear and lock my toy i decided on 4.88s im runnin 32s now 35s later but not sure about lockers front? or rear?
i can only afford one righ now looking at detriot locker or true track.
what is a soft locker and how is it different? help me make a choice......:mad:

A soft locker is a detroit that isnt as harsh when it engages.

I would avoid the truetrac for the rear. Its worth it to spend the money on a locker, rather than a limited slip.

My first choices are ARB or factory E locker. I run Elockers now. I like them over the ARB just because you can manually engage or disengage them if the wiring goes out. with an ARB it unlocks if the air hose breaks.

If I didnt want to spend that much money, Id run an aussie locker or Lockrite. Ran a Lockrite in the front of my old truck. Hard as hell to steer, but worked well, and was reliable.

Get yourself an aussie locker those things rock.

Stuff it in the rear if anything itll get you a lot further down trail then the front will.

And when you go to spend a pretty penny go e-locker (pleh I say to arb)

I like the ARB (have'm F & R), but if $ is an issue go with the Detroit or Aussie.

I put an Aussie in the back of my 1981 pickup this week. I also have an ARB in the rear of a different vehicle. There really is not comparing the two, maybe I'm spoiled, but the aussie is pretty crude on the asphalt.

I've put about 150 miles on the aussie, mostly offroad, and I'm not sure I'm sold on it (autolockers for that matter). It did work perfect on the rocks though and let me turn a bit better than a pure locked dif. I'd take a detroit over an aussie, Detroits don't seem to unload so harshly. Curvy mountain roads in the winter suck.

Between a trutrac and Detroit, I'd say detroit if you use it offroad and your only doing 1 locker. Trutracs tend to let you down when the going gets tough. Lockrights work pretty well, and should hold up with 32's, but 35's you'd be better with a Detroit. A soft locker is a detroit locker, they call them a "soft" locker, all toyota detroits are soft lockers. They are still noticeable, but much better than old old ones.

im about ready to regear and lock my toy i decided on 4.88s im runnin 32s now 35s later but not sure about lockers front? or rear?
i can only afford one righ now looking at detriot locker or true track.
what is a soft locker and how is it different? help me make a choice......:mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom