LJ78 Fan clutch replacement.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a couple part numbers..

-Clutch fan: 6210-66020
-Viscous Clutch Fan 16210-54200

here but nothing shows up on fleabay or amazon...

I found this on ebay that claims to work with Toyota Landcruiser LJ70 (11/1984-1/1990);

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Viscous-Fan-..._DefaultDomain_15&hash=item4183329366&vxp=mtr

Anyone else done this before... mine has leaked out all of the fluid (before I bought it). I ordered more 7000 CST oil... but I would looooove to have a spare handy.

The first one will not work because the correct number is: 16210-66020: That is the fan clutch for the FZJ80 trucks. Not for your LJ70.

The second one sounds correct for your truck.

Do you have a 2L or the 2L-T engine?

The part number I am finding: 16210-54070 which is a live part number and applicable to the 2L as well as the 2L-T engine.

Jarrat, you could try contacting Pradocruzer, as he just went to a V8 with electric fan. So his hub is probably available. The legitimate Toyota viscous hubs (if you can find the right one) are very expensive. You could also try contacting Barry at JDMparts.ca. I think he has a couple parts LJ78's that you could likely get a hub off.

Is your leaking around the big outer o-ring, or at the oil seal by the bushing? If it's the outer o-ring, it could be when you put the new fluid in there was some dirt or something on the mating surface that is letting oil out now.

OK thanks guys..

I haven't opened up the clutch fan since I got the truck a couple months ago.. maybe the previous owner did.... I'm gonna go grab hopefully one today from a v6 4 runner until I can get mine sorted out.

Beno... I tried searching 16210-54070 on ebay... seems about 200 bucks for a replacement from OZ is my only option from online. I"ll see how mine turns out and I'll keep you all updated. (2LTE Motor came in the JDM LJ78)

OK thanks guys..

I haven't opened up the clutch fan since I got the truck a couple months ago.. maybe the previous owner did.... I'm gonna go grab hopefully one today from a v6 4 runner until I can get mine sorted out.

Beno... I tried searching 16210-54070 on ebay... seems about 200 bucks for a replacement from OZ is my only option from online. I"ll see how mine turns out and I'll keep you all updated. (2LTE Motor came in the JDM LJ78)

Where are you located? Knowing where you are assists us in trying to get parts sources for you. ;)

If you are in the US, you can pick up the 16210-54070 from any Toyota parts location.

I'm an hour and a bit out of Vancouver, BC, Canada. I don't want to spend a ton of money, since almost every other truck I've owned I have converted to electric fan and plan on doing it to this one also in the near future.

I have a 4runner v6 one, and the shaft part is shorter. Likely it will make your fan hit the crank pulley unless you space it out somehow. Incidentally the v6 one I got crapped out on the weekend also, and caused my engine to get real hot climbing a long hill. I'll be going back to the Prado one now.

Hmmmm. Good to know. I have a lathe in my garage... so I can always turn something up to space it out. I'll check out whatever I can find I guess, after measuring the prado one...

11378042_619613941509080_1938420685_n.jpg

$22 dollars, and 4 hours later... this happened. Pulled it out of a 1990 Toyota 3.0L V6 pickup. After trying multiple things, found that using 1" spacers for the fan off the clutch fan hub worked the best. When I first fired it up and reved it from under the hood my hat blew off and dust filled the air. The old clutch fan was so dead, I could hang on to it and rev the engine, even when the engine was hot.

Nice work man!! You did a better job spacing yours than I did on mine. I found when mine really spooled up the outer part of the ring move in towards the shroud and ate into it a bit. I think yours will be just fine though. Those fans definitely move lots of air. Just make sure its still pliable and in good shape with no cracks as some people told me the 'ring fans' have a tendancy to explode! I eventually went to a Isuzu Trooper fan as I was a little leery of this.

Thanks guys.... I'll look into that Isuzu Trooper thing...

I wouldn't worry too much about it. One of the main reasons I went to the Trooper fan is a friend gave it to me when he went to an electric fan; so I had it laying around anyhow. Also, I damaged my ring fan when it hit my shroud. If your fan is moving lots of air and not interfering, you're in good shape!! Nice thing about those ring fans is they are so quiet even when moving tons of air.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom