LJ 73 LV engine swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello 70 world. I am new to your world and reaching out for some some advice. I have a 1987 LJ 73LV ( 2.4 T) that I believe needs an engine swap. The truck is putting out copious amounts of smoke going down the highway and feels sluggish. Does anyone have a suggestion of what I can find here in the US as a candidate that would mate with the transmission?
I found some older posts mentioning the 22 RE if I wanted to go with a gasser.

Any input is much appreciated.

Hello 70 world. I am new to your world and reaching out for some some advice. I have a 1987 LJ 73LV ( 2.4 T) that I believe needs an engine swap. The truck is putting out copious amounts of smoke going down the highway and feels sluggish. Does anyone have a suggestion of what I can find here in the US as a candidate that would mate with the transmission?
I found some older posts mentioning the 22 RE if I wanted to go with a gasser.

Any input is much appreciated.

Before swapping it out you should at least do a compression test. If compression is good, I'd be looking at the fuel system or turbo seals - may just need some maintenance.

Or maybe you just want to get away from diesel completely.... Having driven 22RE and 2LT(E) vehicles, I personally much prefer the 2LT(E) - especially when tuned up a bit.

GTSS- thank you very much ! i will look into your suggestions !

We're just finishing up swapping a Cummins R2.8 into an LJ70. It's not the cheapest solution, but bolts right up to an R151 trans and has plenty of room underhood. At 160hp and 300ft-lbs it's got a lot more pep than the 2LT which was in it. Build thread... Machito the LJ70

@ddelong6767 - Thanks so much. Any suggestions where to shop for one of those ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom