List of tools for birf replace/repack? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kyle,
This tutorial is a start for understanding the 80 series suspension.

Read these birfield repack instructions and follow the links for everything you could possible want to know about a birfield. Basically, they are CV joints. Here is a list of all the parts and a diagram illustrating the location of the parts.

You should service the front axle of the 80 series every 60k miles. Some will recommend stretching this to 90-100k miles though once you've done the job yourself you probably won't wait much longer than 60k miles on the next one. A dealer will charge about $1,200 but since the majority of the cost is labor and the job is not technically difficult, we recommend that you do the job yourself in most cases. As you will see from the above reading, it is a time consuming service.

You will probably need a FSM (factory service manual) and a source for buying the parts at at discount. Here (insert link to big dummy C-Dan) is the place for the FSM and parts.

-B-

We had some flooding here today and I had to drive hrough some not to high water, mabe up to the hubs. Do I necessarily have to repack them or can I check for water first to see if any actually got inside them? Also, how could it be possible to ger water in the diff's if you did not go deeper than the breather hoses? Does water actually go inside the hubs or Birf's to get into the axels and diff's? Why aren't the hubs sealed in the first place to prevent water seapage, or are they unless the seals have worn out indicating nedded servicing?

Beowulf, thanks for the help. I'd alrady seen that "suspension" link, and it's more of a diff's for dummy's page, doesn't really say how the diff's exactly work, or how the suspension is designed on these. No biggie though, I'll just learn when I get one, that's the best way anyhow. Thanks for the directions on working on the birfs. It looks like it's a bit time consuming and messy, but not too technical, I could handle it if I needed to.

Thanks!
-Kyle

Re:Normal Birfield / Trunion Seapage?

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=6060;start=msg48417#msg48417 date=1065564846]
.. not omnipotent.
-B-

[/quote]

-B- No one said you were. Anyway, there's a lot doctors can do to help nowadays - there's no need to deny it..

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom