Lifting the body off

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Body's about ready to come off the 74FJ40. What's the best way to remove it? Can a couple guys on each side lift it? Also wondering how sturdy it is. I would like to figure out a way to flip it so I can prep the underside for rust treatment & repaint.
TIA as always for the help.
Vic
Redlands, CA.

2 people is all it took to remove mine....but if your gonna flip it, Make it a party and invite some friends. I set mine on its rear end to inspect the bottom, and it didn't bend. I have also seen a few pics of people doing the same. I personally didn't want to leave it on it's end for too long. Suckaz heavy.

My son and I lifted mine off to seperate it, but then I had a couple of friends come and help carry onto the trailer. Two of us flipped it up on its side and it had no problem supporting its weight. On its side it was easy to powerwash the tub and do the initial wire wheeling.

Provided it is not rotted out, it is strong enough to support it's own weight on stands....

Good luck!

-Steve

Hi All:

Are you talking about the whole body tub including firewall/cowl, or just the rear 2/3s?

Two guys can move the rear 2/3s no sweat; for the full tub having 3 or 4 folks makes things easier since it is akward to move it around.

I had a semi-rotted rear 2/3s body on its side in the yard for almost a year, and it did not collapse, sag, etc.

Good luck with your project!

Alan
Seattle

I've pulled my 74 with just 2 people no problem. Even had to lift it over the stick shift (couldn't get it off). I stood it on the end and laid it on both sides while stripping it and refinishing it. Get some strong saw horses. I got a pair of steel folding saw horses that were stong enough for me to sit in the body while I was working on it.

Kevin

How much disassembly effort is involved in getting the tub to the point of being able to remove it from the frame? Scale of 1 to 10 from easy to most difficult...and also an estimate in hours of disassembly involved?

Thanks

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Provided that none of your mounting bolts are rusted to hell. Done properly with the help of a buddy about 2-3 hrs hustling. If you are having a few suds plan on 1/2 day. I have only done one and did it myself. I took my time, tagged, bagged and photographed the process, I used a come-along attached to rafters and a couple of straps attached to each corner to lift and set it down on a rolling cart I made out of 2x4's and some hf wheels.

Takes more time to properly tag and bag all of your parts. If I were stealing your tub, about 30 minutes.

Last edited:
I know this should be common sense, but use some good leather gloves, a guy I know almost lost the ability of using his fingers lifting a body off a scout. Sliced up his tendons real good like.

Last edited:
Just a heads up. I second the rusty bolts statement. I had to cut 2 of the 4 rear bolts (bumper) with a sawzal. Not a single bolt was worth a crap when it was all said and done. and it can take all damn day if you start from everything in the interior to nothing and the tub off.

bustanutley said:
I know this should be common sense, but use some good leather gloves, a guy I know almost lost the ability of using his finger lifting a body off a scout. Sliced up his tendons real good like.

I almost lost use of my right thumb lifting a large sheet metal cooler at work in my youth, this is no BS. :whoops:

I lifted the tub and cowl alone with an engine hoist and I moved the whole thing into the back yard with a small furniture dolly. Should be a breeze with 2 guys.
PICT0398.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom