Left front suspension chirp? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, my 06 with 155k miles recently developed a random chirp from the front suspension that almost feels like it’s under the dead pedal. “Chirp” might be the wrong technical term, but it sounds like a very hard piece of rubber being drug across a floor - maybe more like a deep chirp.

there’s seemingly no consistency to it, and it generally only presents when I lift off the accelerator and the the truck naturally comes forward. No noise at braking. No noise turning. No noise going over bumps. I’ve don’t a visual inspection and don’t see any bolts that look to be missing a nut, etc., but I don’t necessarily know what I’m looking for either.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Drive it up on some ramps and get under and push pull on the sway bar and sway bar end links. Maybe pull on the shocks to see if the cushions are toasted. If it sounds like rubber chirping look for the rubber bits that touch metal.

it generally only presents when I lift off the accelerator and the the truck naturally comes forward. No noise at braking. No noise turning. No noise going over bumps.
Sounds like a bearing.

Thanks, guys

junkcrzr, I was thinking a wheel bearing had a bit more consistency and pitch varied with speed, it admittedly haven’t experienced one.

My guess is its the front stabilizer link.

Well quick but embarrassing update:

I should have mentioned initially that most of the left front suspension (control arms, hub assembly, and steering knuckle) were replaced around 10k miles ago. I double checked the ball joints by rocking the tire and they seemed fine. I went ahead and replaced the end links as they were definitely showing their age. Maybe a slight improvement, but the sound is definitely still there - primarily only when the weight of the vehicle shifts from front to back- i.e., lifting off accelerator after having just been under half to full throttle.

Now for the embarrassing part - I've had about 250-300 lbs directly over the rear axle for about the past month until earlier this morning. I'd love to say it was the result of some cool overlanding drawer system, but in reality my truck was doubling as a storage unit for a very heavy but relatively compact secretary desk. After removing the desk, I think I heard the sound only once about five minutes into first drive. I've driven the truck two other times today and it's been silent even when I tried my best to induce a noise (heavy throttle from a dead stop then abruptly lifting my foot off the accelerator).

Am I thinking about this correctly in that it might just be a noisy torsion bar? If so, anything I should be concerned about? Thanks for the help, gents!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom