Led Stop/Tail lamps flashing issue (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here's the wiring diagram, top right is the rear lights. Should help a bit.
I'd start with remove the trailer hitch wiring harness and see if that fixes the issue.

1657712048521.png

Have the lights ever worked for you or is this something that just started?

So to say you have a trailer hitch, is that to mean you have the wiring for said trailer? Meaning someone has tried to wire in wiring for a trailer into the factory wiring? Japanese cars have a separate wire for turn and brake while most trailers use the same wire for brake and turn signals. To do this properly you need a converter to convert from Japanese wiring to US for trailers. Something like this:

Amazon product ASIN B010QCH7VG
Perhaps someone tried to hard wire in trailer wiring (if thats what you mean OP) and spliced things together making signals now do silly things. I would first look for clownball wiring leading to any type of trailer plug and get rid of it. Then do it the way that actually works with a proper converter.

Diagram I made for my 60 series at the taillight to see what wires do what:

View attachment 3057511

This is looking at the harness on the truck side with the taillight assembly unplugged and the locking tab up.

It seems on mine the driver side taillight was first and wires ran over to the passenger side. I can not be sure of that however but any trailer wiring I did I used the Drivers side for it. Sounds like the passenger side might be the place to start on yours. HTH
Thank you for all this! To answer your questions:

1. I don't know if this has always been the case, though I'm pretty sure I checked all the lights and blinkers when purchased in August 2020. Friend was driving behind me recently and pointed it out, so no idea exactly how long it's been happening.

2. The wiring for the trailer hitch looked pretty official when I peeked at it, but I will check again.

Vehicle is currently in the shop for a revival of the AC system, so I will dig into this again once it's back in action.

Thanks again!

First off, thank you to @Gretsch for this valuable info. To keep the gremlin hunt story short, it was indeed the connector for the trailer hitch, though it certainly looked "official" upon initial review. After examining all the wiring that I was willing to dig out, I finally cut out the connector for the right turn signal from the trailer wiring box and reconnected the original wire. Signal works great with no brake light flashing. Brake lights and left turn signal still running through the trailer box and are working fine.

So...my next question...what should I replace the box (pictured below) with? Though I have no immediate need for trailer lighting, would love to have it functional.

Thanks again!

trailer_wiring.jpg

First off, thank you to @Gretsch for this valuable info. To keep the gremlin hunt story short, it was indeed the connector for the trailer hitch, though it certainly looked "official" upon initial review. After examining all the wiring that I was willing to dig out, I finally cut out the connector for the right turn signal from the trailer wiring box and reconnected the original wire. Signal works great with no brake light flashing. Brake lights and left turn signal still running through the trailer box and are working fine.

So...my next question...what should I replace the box (pictured below) with? Though I have no immediate need for trailer lighting, would love to have it functional.

Thanks again!

View attachment 3090484
And thank you to @poptart !

Thanks again!

View attachment 3090484

So I happen to know that a top notch mud vendor is working on a plug and play trailer wiring kit that includes everything you need to get trailer lights working. In the final stages of development and will allow you to have trailer wiring with a nice 7-way plug without all the wire cutting typically needed to do this. The kit will have factory type taillight plugs that allow you to separate the factory taillight plug and insert a factory type plug that splices into the factory harness to get signals needed for the converter box. The kit includes the converter box, the connectors, the wire loom, the 7-way trailer plug, everything. All the grounds are run straight back to the battery post, so no body grounds to troubleshoot. Its completely plug and play. If you can hold out for that kit, I would highly recommend doing so. Some deets here:

HTH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom