Leaky dipstick

Can anyone tell me how to remove/replace the oil dipstick guide on a '78 2F. Mine is leaking oil at the base where it meets the block. I can't tell for certain but I think it's cracked. There is quite a bit of play at the base if you wiggle the whole guide. Anyone dealt with this problem before? Any help greatly appreciated.

Woops... Tried to wiggle it out and the guide snapped right at the base, flush with the block. Now I've got to find a way to get the remaining length of guide out? Any suggestions?

foxfab

My first thought of the title of this thread was," They have medicine that will fix that" but I digress...

Easy out? Pull the pan and drill it?

zebrabeefj40

You can clean around the broken piece so you can see what you're working with. Then you might be able to tap a pointed punch or nail set between the broken tube and the block. The idea is to fold the busted piece enough so that you can fish it out with a pair of needle nose pliers, magnet or dental pick. Worst case is pulling the pan to tap it out from inside the block...

HTH,
Nick

How about sticking an easy out in there to turn and bite into the broken section of tube and pull out on it as you turn it? Might work?

72FJ40LandCruiser said:
How about sticking an easy out in there to turn and bite into the broken section of tube and pull out on it as you turn it? Might work?
Something as thin as this will probally not work with a easy out. I have found they have a tendency to expand the tube into the wall that is holding.

IMO a small chisel straight driven down one side of the tube inside the block would allow you to peal it towards the center of the hole with some needle nose pliers and then pull out.

No matter what its will be a b*tch

Good luck, Myrle

mallred said:
Something as thin as this will probally not work with a easy out. I have found they have a tendency to expand the tube into the wall that is holding.

IMO a small chisel straight driven down one side of the tube inside the block would allow you to peal it towards the center of the hole with some needle nose pliers and then pull out.

No matter what its will be a b*tch

Good luck, Myrle

I agree don't use an easy out the tube is too thin. I would drive an awl in next to it to fold it and pull it with needle nose. I've had broken pipe nipples split with an easy out and wedge into the theads of the fitting and a pipe nipple is alot thicker than the dip stick tube.

Kevin

Maybe if you find an expendable screwdriver of sufficiently small diameter to fit down the hole you could bend the tip into an L shape and use it to catch the bottom of the tube and pull it up enough to get a grip on it?

Thanks everyone for the advice. Problem solved. I just took on old screw with the right sized thread, tapped/screwed it into the stuck length of pipe, locked a pair of vice grips under the screw head and knocked the vice grips from underneath a few times with a hammer. Came right out. Suppose I got lucky with the thread size on the screw, it just barely bit into the stuck piece of guide but enough to grip. Now I just need a new dipstcik guide...

Top Bottom