leaking when it rains (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Out of nowhere my 200 has started leaking when it rains. 2013 to now, no issues and no trauma to the car to cause it.

Drops of water are appearing on the front passenger floor mat. They are coming from the firewall area up above the foot area. And that's all I know. There is to much stuff up there to track it down any further.

Any idea what I should check to try to find the leak? How do I remove the plastic under to windshield wipers to check the bottom of the windshield?

Thanks,
Carl

PS - it IS water, not antifreeze

Have you ever had the windshield replaced? I had that problem in a 100 series and that area would get wet, causing hazards to turn on. PO had replaced the windshield with a substandard job. A new windshield, properly installed, solved the problem.

Nope, stock windshield since new.

Have you ever had windshield replaced? I had that problem in a 100 series once and that area would get wet, causing hazards to turn on. A new windshield, properly installed, solved the problem.

Been on dusty roads with it? Actually that doesn't matter, If your AC condensation drain is blocked for whatever reason, it will back up into the fan motor and fall onto the passenger floor board. Super easy to fix.

Go drive around with AC off and see if it happens, that will let you know.

My memory is very vague on this, but your leaking symptom sounds like a clogged moonroof drain. The solution was to blow air down through the drain from the moonroof. It might be worth a look around the opening of the moonroof (while it is open) to see if you can spot a drain hole.

Sorry if this is totally off base ... :confused:

Try to isolate the incoming water location by taking a water hose and letting water onto the car. Start out in the cowling area and slowly work upwards until you notice water coming in. Slowly work upwards by the a pilar to the front edge of the roof/windshield area, then the sunroof drain area, then the area where the roof rack attaches to the roof, first the front area, then the rear rack mount area.

My 100 was leaking from the rear roof rack mount bolt thread area after my car was painted. The roof rack had been removed and put back without sealing those threads in the roof. The water was working itself onto the roof liner's backing, which has a plastic material, traveling towards the front and coming down thru the a pilar cover all the way down to the edge between the carpet and lower a pilar cover.

Good luck and please report your findings once you ID it.

Check that the moonroof drains are clear.

My memory is very vague on this, but your leaking symptom sounds like a clogged moonroof drain. The solution was to blow air down through the drain from the moonroof. It might be worth a look around the opening of the moonroof (while it is open) to see if you can spot a drain hole.

Sorry if this is totally off base ... :confused:

^^^ This.

Search this issue on the 100 forum. Despite this not being a 100, many of the odd things that (are going to) pop up for us, are already solved and mildly beaten to death by the 100 forum. Especially this topic! good luck

Fantastic advice all! I will look into a clogged sunroof drain and AC drain!

Bringing this back up to the top, did unclogging the drain fix the problem?

Are there any other known causes for roof and cabin water leaks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom