Leaking H55F gearbox through shifter help!? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
G'day all i'm after some help regarding a oil leak in my H55F gearbox in my FJ73, the picture shows where it is leaking, up though where the shifter goes into the gearbox. Probably explains the hard shifting of my gearbox since the oil is escaping! Looking in my manual it did not show any oil seals or anything, only a ball loaded with a spring and a collar. How do I stop this leak? and is there some kind of seal somewhere and also the ball on the end of the shifter does that wear ? thinking if I can I will replace it to tighten up the shifter abit

cheers
H55F.JPG

Check your transfer case oil level. When they get old, the t-case will pump oil up into the transmission. This overfills the tranny and underfills the t-case. It makes the shifting harder just because there is too much oil in the box. THe fix is to replace the seal between the trannny and transfer or set up a filler tube between the two fill plugs.

Otherwise do the usual check for clogged breathers, but I think in my H55 the shift tower IS the breather.

Good luck.

Disclaimer_Not a 70 series owner but I have stayed in a Holiday Inn and I do have an H55f.

Man! that thing is nasty :eek:

That, sir, is a WAY overfilled transmission. That's some stinky 90 weight, huh?
Drain the transfer case and transmission. Refill them with new 90, NO LUCAS!!!. It should fix your problem. Also, you'll need some Purple Power (safe for paint) or brake cleaner (not so safe) to clean up that mess!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom