LC200 2017 humming noise and vibration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello!

I have an issue with my LC 200 2017 5.7 and I require some support.
For about 2 weeks i hear a humming noise and feel some vibrations in my car between 80 to 100 km/h and also around 60 km/h.
I thought first it was the diff oils, I changed them all.

Secondly, i took it to the dealer, they told me it is the RL bearing, which i changed also and still no improvement.
Now they told me it is the rear propeller shaft and the other rear bearing.

What do you guys think? I just want to avoid changing parts unnecessarily. The car is 120 k kilometres.

Many thanks in advance!!!

...I have an issue with my LC 200 2017 5.7 ...
For about 2 weeks i hear a humming noise and feel some vibrations in my car between 80 to 100 km/h... The car is 120 k kilometres.

I have no experience with the middle eastern Land Cruisers, but in my case, any vibrations similar to what you describe have been resolved by either replacing my worn tires or getting an alignment.
Good luck.

I got an alignment not so long ago and the tires are OK. the noise is not constant and/or increasing with the speed, like when you have a tire issue. It kicks in at those speeds and the moment the car drives a little slower than 80 or faster than 100 it goes away.
Shouldn't be any difference major difference for the cars for the ME (rather the emission standards, the arabic writing on the mirrors and the lack of seat heating :))
The thing is that I did not take it off road or abused it in any way, just driving to office and back home on paved roads.
I don't climb stuff, so I cannot imagine how it can happen so early on.
Anyway, i took it to the dealer's again and I will see. Initially I got crazy because they asked for a ridiculous amount (mostly for the labor charges) but now they came up with a reasonable offer and I sure hope that they'll fix it.
In any case, thanks for the reply!

To me this sounds like a tire issue. You said the tires were OK but maybe they need a second look. Did they ck and correct balance down to "0" or 1/4 oz off is close enough. Is there any movement in the steering wheel? Rotate one tire front to back and only on one side. Drive that same section of road were you can repeat the sound/vibration. Next, rotate the other side front to back and ck steering wheel for any vibes on that same road.

sounds like they're just throwing parts at it. Have they removed the driveshafts to check for play in the u joints? How did they diagnose the rear driveshaft? Because if there is play, then that will need to be addressed. I had a Dodge Ram once and had a very similar issue, which ended up being the rear driveshaft. It felt like a humming with some vibration at above 55MPH.

Obviously, wheel balance issues are the first place to start since that's very easy to check and correct.

Hello!

I have done the alignment and balancing before, no improvement.
It did not feel like tires, there was no vibration in the steering alone, but rather the whole car was vibrating at those speeds, i was told by a friend who rode both in the front and back that the symptoms were more in the back of the car.

PS: you can imagine that it was bad since my wife noticed immediately without me telling anything and she is not really a car person. :)

A few hours ago I took the car out from the dealer.
They changed the rear bearings and rear driveshaft and now it's perfect, no more noise, no more vibration. The price was roughly 1,200 USD out of which parts almost 1,000 (two rear bearing kits and the rear shaft with all the accessories).
Just i case you will have the same issue and to clarify the symptoms I had, there was no relation of the feeling to the road, it was every time I drove and/or started to drive (even from a traffic light) or any standstill. If the speed changed, it would go away and come as soon as it hit 60 kph flat or above 80 kph.

I also asked them if this is a common problem, as the mileage is relatively low from my point of view (120,000 km) and they said they've seen it before, but very rarely. Turns out that I was just a "lucky" bastard, especially since the warranty expired at 100,000 km a few months back.

In any case, thank you all for the replies and I hope you won't have to do it ever!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom