Events/Trails Last minute Anza trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Overlandeffex

SILVER Star
Threads
Had to cancel my Flagstaff trip as we did not get parts in time. I get off work Saturday morning...need to do s few minutes of loading and thinking meet at Henshaw about 1030 to 11 ish. From there to sin nombre canyon area and out around there maybe down to fish creek or go adventuring. Who's in???

This weekend?

Yep

Camp over night....keep it simple

Running a bit late we're meeting now at henshaw Cafe place at 11:00 11:30

IMG_0286.jpeg

I think I saw you guys at Arroyo Seco del Diablo at the turnoff for the dropoff.

yeah we were waiting for friend. What were you driving??

Just a (half) day trip unfortunately. Would have loved to spend more time out there but it was last minute.

We talked about your cruiser as we thought you might have been another member... Should have waved us down. Come to our meeting next Monday and have a beverage with us.

How do you guys like those Gazelle tents? I’ve been thinking about pickup a T3
Most people seem to like them a lot. I grabbed a T4 off of eBay a few months ago after seeing a lot of them on trips. For sure they are quick and easy to set up making late night arrivals into camp after dark a lot nicer. Taking them down and getting the tent back into its bag is nearly time consumptive as any other tent, but I've found that once collapsed it's easy to carry it to the tail gate on my 80 and wrestle it into its bag without having to crawl around on the ground. They are heavy too, maybe 60ish pounds for the T4. My T4 in its bag is also long at 5+ feet and cannot fit cross wise into my 80 series, so it has to load in long wise from rear to front and goes nearly from the rear window to the folded middle seats. Wind wise, as long as it's not windy they're a joy. However, if wind is in the forecast you really, really need to stake it down and really need to add the ropes and stakes for the side panels at least on the windward side, else a good gust will cave the side in and make matters all the worse from there. Waking up in the early morning to howling wind and having the tent caving in on you is a pain, so just spend the time and guy it beforehand, I've learned my lesson a couple of times on this now. Internally, there are net pouches on every walls for gear and a nice overhead net for gear or a light. All in all I really do like my Gazelle and it beats my old Eureka Sunrise 6 man for ease of setup and tear down.

Most people seem to like them a lot. I grabbed a T4 off of eBay a few months ago after seeing a lot of them on trips. For sure they are quick and easy to set up making late night arrivals into camp after dark a lot nicer. Taking them down and getting the tent back into its bag is nearly time consumptive as any other tent, but I've found that once collapsed it's easy to carry it to the tail gate on my 80 and wrestle it into its bag without having to crawl around on the ground. They are heavy too, maybe 60ish pounds for the T4. My T4 in its bag is also long at 5+ feet and cannot fit cross wise into my 80 series, so it has to load in long wise from rear to front and goes nearly from the rear window to the folded middle seats. Wind wise, as long as it's not windy they're a joy. However, if wind is in the forecast you really, really need to stake it down and really need to add the ropes and stakes for the side panels at least on the windward side, else a good gust will cave the side in and make matters all the worse from there. Waking up in the early morning to howling wind and having the tent caving in on you is a pain, so just spend the time and guy it beforehand, I've learned my lesson a couple of times on this now. Internally, there are net pouches on every walls for gear and a nice overhead net for gear or a light. All in all I really do like my Gazelle and it beats my old Eureka Sunrise 6 man for ease of setup and tear down.

Good stuff, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom