Lashing w/ webbing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JayDoc

boop/bop/beep
Threads
Somewhere between Manhattan and Lawrence.
Perhaps a strange question here but can you lash with nylon webbing the same way you can with nylon rope or manila rope?
We typically use natural fiber rope for camp gadgets and primitive shelters.
Could you use webbing for this or would you worry about its strength or pulling free or stretching?
Could I use the same basic square/diagonal/shear lashing that I would with rope or are there other techniques I'd need to learn with webbing.
Any experience you've had with this would be appreciated.
Cheers.

Two types, flat webbing and tubular. Tubular is still flatish, just squished. Rock climbers use it, is awesome strong. Typically used with a water knot, which is VERY hard to untie after being loaded. Neither should stretch, unless they are polypropolene. Best using rachet straps to secure, but there are some slip on holdowns out there. Havn't used any.

Years ago, a friend of mine tied a piece of 1" tubular webbing to his truck bumper (non-reinforced) and a big tree to test the webbin's strength. He was sure that the webbing would rip. Guess what. It bent his bumper and nearly ripped the bumper off. The webbing did not rip. Nylon tubular webbing is eff'ing strong.

Both work great and are strong. I think the tubular climbing webbing is tested at or close to 5,000 lbs. 1" flat webbing is less maybe 2K pounds. I use these straps and have several in different lengths and colors so I know which ones are shorter/longer than the others. After I pass them through the cam-lock buckle, I put 1 or 2 half hitch loops on the loose end to secure it.

NRS 1" Color Coded Tie-Down Straps at nrs.com

As others have said its extremely strong stuff. It also has very little to no stretch. The thing I don't like about using it for lashing is it just doesn't take the knots as easily, and once they are in, they are more difficult to get out. For instance the water knot can be a bear to untie once its been loaded. I would stick with small diameter rope for lashing and use the carabineers with the teeth on them or a simple travelers hitch.

I would stick with small diameter rope for lashing and use the carabineers with the teeth on them or a simple travelers hitch.

Yeah, I think you're right. I'll stick with rope for wrappin' and frappin'.
Thanks all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom