Land Cruiser LJ70, 2LT II engine swap into 5L (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All

I have Land Cruiser LJ70 1991. my 2LT II engine blow up after cold section overhaul, I guess the oil pump didnt run properly.

I am looking for replacement engine and found 5L one. can it fit with no issues? It the only engine I can locate in 500km raduis.

otherwise, I can find many 2L ( non turbo engine)- cheaper option.
I use the car occasionally for recreation and dont really need to climb rocks.

any recommendation?

A 5L would be a good engine in that truck. Is yours manual or automatic transmission? If manual, the swap is doable. The 5L should be able to use the 2LT-II engine mounts, bell housing and clutch etc. I think your challenge will be with adapting the electrical (starting/glow systems), and you will need to adapt the exhaust as well. Might need to do other things like a different throttle cable etc. Lots of little stuff.

You could also turbo the 5L by using all components off the 2L-T and possibly even keeping current exhaust. You'd be gaining some extra power too.

The 5L is already more powerful than the 3L in stock form. Adding the turbo components from the 2LT would make it really nice with all the cooling mods upgrades available on these threads. I would jump on the 5L even if you don’t turbo it because if it’s like the 3L, it’s pretty solid engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom