Builds Lake Norman's '79 FJ40 Rebuild (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OK, just got in from the garage (yeah, 3 a.m.) and feel like I've been holding out on you guys. So here's a quick update...you're getting the time-elapsed version of an update.

Since my last post, I've been busy with:

- cleaning, wire brushing, and sanding the entire chassis; painted it with POR-15 and then top coated with POR Hardnose (did it 2x, b/c I didn't like the fish-eyed finish I got with the first coat of Hardnose); took about 3+ weekends in all; if I had to do it again I wouldn't...recommend sand blasting and powdercoating

- all OEM steel parts media blasted and where applicable touched up with sanding; found hidden rust (lift gate) and/or previous bodywork (fenders) and most of these panels are getting replaced; goal is to have almost zero filler in the entire truck

- sanded the entire new Aqualu body and all associated parts in preparation for paintwork; took about 2.5 weekend b/c of all the nooks/crannies; should really make the primer stick

- primed all the parts with self-etching primer
showPic.php
showPic.php
showPic.php

- the bottom was coated at least 4x with color-matching SEM Pro-Tex (polyurethane bedliner material)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450844649.669005.jpg

showPic.php

Posting a few large pics as I thought you guys might like to see the texture of the SEM material. Really like the way it turned out...it's very glossy and mud should just spray right off.

Last edited:
Continued from prior post...

- next we painted the sides Toyota Dune Beige:

Very happy with the paint and SEM applications. My buddy owns a hotrod paint and body shop where all the sanding, priming, paint, and SEM was done. Had to keep reminding them that this is intended to be a trail truck and that it didn't matter that you could see all the TIG weld lines in the body.

- next, I had the interior coated with black Rhino Liner:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450844785.259971.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450844798.744008.jpg

I've got the next few days off of work, so I'll post more during the reassembly. Lots of small parts to clean, prime and re-paint (i.e., rollbar, heater, seats) and I'll need some advice from you guys (i.e., rear fender flares...yes or no?)

Also, it looks like I need to update the prior posts with more current links to the pics. Will get to it soon...

Last edited:
great job Drew...maybe someday my FJ will look like your FJ...wishful thinking is awesome...

Thanks guys. In addition to swapping in the new tub I'm running across a million "you might as well" replace this part or repaint that part as I'm putting it all back together. This is going to be more of a re-incarnation than a restoration.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the Aqualu tub and everything seems to be lining up well. Only complaint is that 2 of the rear bed area body supports don't have brackets on the tub to rest against...this basically eliminates 2 of the 4 rear tub supports...I've ordered a generic Energy Suspension body mount kit and will use it to take the space between the bed floor and chassis bracket; I think the tub should be fully supported at all places that Toyota designed.

Last edited:
aqualu vs heritage

Man that looks sweet. Can you please clue us in on the price difference between Heritage and Aqualu? I think the heritage stuff is 5k plus the ride for the new tub and aqualu is under 3k plus the ride.

Am I close?

Nice work. I bet that FJ40 of yours will be around until you are in a old folks home.

Thanks

Aaron

Drew..where did u go to get Rhino Liner put in??

Riddler: Your prices are about right for a 3/4 tub only. This is a complete Aqualu tub...3/4 rear + cowl and there was no way I was going to spend the kind of money that Heritage wanted for a 3/4 tub + cowl.

Roger: The Rhino Liner place was near uptown Charlotte on North Tryon. It wasn't cheap and he wasn't happy about all the prep work involved...about 3.5 hours...says the FJ40 is much harder than a J**p Wrangler. But, I had the drop storage box and tailgate which made matters harder...

That's nice!! Keep up the great work.

OK, time for another update. Been slowly getting her back together... This is not going to be a stock restoration, but it won't deviate too far so that it keeps the FJ40's character.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450845208.358526.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450845225.626893.jpg

Ended up installing the rear fender flares (Bushwacker???) that came with the truck when I bought it. Didn't really want to, but with 33x12.50 tires it really made sense. Used some button-head allen bolts with nylocks to attach the flares which I think looks kinda different but cool without looking bling. Couldn't bring myself to cut out the aluminum quarters, so I trimmed down the fender flares. Hopefully the tires won't rub or I may find myself having to trim the quarters later...

Just got a lot of interior parts back from powdercoating. Now I need to reassemble my heater and run hoses through the firewall. The glovebox door, gauge bezel and seat backs were coated a dark grey metallic. Almost the same color as teflon coated skillet when new (with hopes of teflon coated ARE wheels down the line).

The interior vinyl is getting changed from grey to black. A company that sells a lot of FJ40 parts on e-Bay (Dent Depot???) is custom making black seat covers in the stock pattern and covering my console arm rest to match.

Speaking of console, it is a combination of an old Con-Ferr box and a Tuffy rear bracket and drink holders. Considering that it's a hodge-podge of parts, it's really turning out cool (and much cheaper than a new console).

Installed a tire carrier + basket from MAF. Really stout setup and fits a decent (weekend) sized cooler. My 33 X 12.50 tire fits perfect (with room to spare).

Also putting together MAF's rear seat. Great seat and quality, but it doesn't have a fold/tumble function. It sits too high for good rear visibility with the brackets in the up position and the rear passenders' heads will be higher than the rear roll bar supports (just like jump seats). I'd flip the brackets to lower it, but if I do I lose access to the Aqualu storage compartment beneath the floor. It doesn't make sense to lower it, so I'll leave it. Once I install a 6 point cage (late this year or next year), it will resolve the roll bar height issue.

What's left:
- seat covers installed
- heater installed
- get it running + tune-up
- exhaust system
- 2nd battery
- auxilary lighting
- hidden radio
- painting / finishing hardop & doors
- fabricating hard half-doors

...almost ready to start it up. Getting the bib and front fenders painted this week so hopefully have it back on road over Labor Day Weekend!

Last edited:
Very nice Drew, cant wait to see it with the half doors on.

Thanks guys for the comments. It's definitely been more of a project (and $$$) than I ever intended when I started...but I really know this FJ40 inside/out now. I'll post more pics soon as I get the FJ40 back on the road. Then can add more pics over the course of this fall as I get the half-doors fabricated, the hardtop restored, and the rest of the items I mentioned above completed too...

OK, the FJ40 has been back on the road for almost a month. Took it on a weekday trip from Charlotte to Boone & Blowing Rock (NC) to road-test it. It made the trip just fine, so I felt OK taking it off-roading & camping in western North Carolina for two weekends. Did great on the trails and I've been driving it around town the other two weekends. Probably close to 1.5K miles on it already...I love driving this thing!

Since my last post, here's what's been done:
- painted & re-installed front fenders/bib/bezel
- installed new front seat covers
- got it running + tune-up
- new exhaust system
- installed rear auxilary lighting
- new cooling system (the radiator gave up)
- repainted front bumper + installed front auxilary lights
- installed Man-A-Fre sliders (I should be the poster-boy for MAF...just happen to like their product designs)

No comments about my J**p rear-view mirror...it fits the Aqualu winshield frame (better than stock FJ40 one) and was cheap (and no, it doesn't shake/vibrate). Oh yeah, just had to also get a new license plate too...

Anyway, here are pics of it:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450845325.248021.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443275861.368077.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450845351.683726.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443275842.849851.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443275878.169540.jpg

Last edited:
More pics:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450845729.816104.jpg

If anyone needs tips or questions answered about the Aqualu tub, MAF parts, or other parts of the restoration just let me know...

More to come with the heater rebuild/install, hard-top/doors/half-doors later this fall.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom