KZJ78 starting problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes the timing belt looks good.

I applied 12v from the battery to red wire of the spill control valve and earth to the black wire, turned the key and started! but there was a HUGE cloud of grey smoke, I had to pull the wires of to switch off the engine as it wouldn't switch of with the key.

For whatever reason the spill control valve is not getting adequate power to allow fuel through the pump and into the injectors.

All my wiring has been checked all looks ok. Al the sensors had been disconnected all ok.

Conclusion: I have a fried ECU too.:eek:

For manual and automatics I understnad the 1kz-te ECU are different.

If you open up the ECu you will find a few fried resistors and capacitiors. Replace those and it should be ok. Mine come out tomorrow.

My own 1kz-te has been having an intermittant starting problem.

Sometimes will start perfectly, but recently the engine will run for a few seconds and die. Last week the engine just died once.

Hopefully its just an electrical connection or something in the fuel lines.

Presently in some workshop at the otherside of the country and say will be ok tomorrow.

Fingers and toes crossed.

Was not the ECu in the end. Had a turbo timer wired into the air con relay, bith had blown the relays. New air con relay and left the turbo timer disconnected....back in business.

I am having problems finding a replacement ECU hence not been able to post any updates..

Would an ECU from a 3.0td hilux surf work?

Or one from a kzn95 landcruiser?

If anyone knows of any kzj78 stripping for parts in the UK or a whole vehicle for sale then please pm me or text call 07863281324.

Thanks

As I could not source a replacement ECU and I dont know anyone else with a KZJ78 Prado, I bought a used Toyota Surf KZN185 3.0TD auto in hope of using the ECU from this to start my Prado.

So I took out the ECU from the Surf (1KZ-TE engine) plugged it into the Prado.... as i switched on the ignition the check engine ight CEL started flasing CONTINOUSLY, no pattern of flash pause flash for a code but just continous flashes - WHAT DOES IT MEAN WHEN CEL IS FLASHING CONTINOUSLY?

Have you opened up your old ECU to check for blown parts? If you do replace them.

Have a read of this forum regarding ECU electrical problems and the faults they got.
1KZ-TE & 2L-TE Owners: CHECK YOUR CAPS!! - ToyotaDiesel.com
Your old ECU could have faulty caps.

The KZN95 ECU is a different part number to the KZJ78's.. I suspect they will not be compatible.
As you have found out.
I think the Surfs have a different Auto and control ...

I will ask around our local NZ forum for an ECU... But the cost of shipping could be the killer.

You aren't having much luck, perhaps there is a wiring fault in the Prado, which fried the first ecu and then the second?

You could always throw out the Diesel and put in a 1UZFE V8........ Popular conversion down under.

I thought my ECU was gone but turned out to be the turbo timer.

Try these guys for an ECU Japan4x4-Export

You better check your wiring.

Have you thought about removing the ECU completely and going for a mechanical fuel pump? I know its possible and there's plenty of reads if you do a google search.

OK here is an update guys.

I had no joy finding an ecu for this kzj78, tried most wreckers, scrappers and ebay etc but no luck.

SO.... I picked up a '94 4runner 3.td .....manual pump + manual transmission .... now I am very tempted to convert the auto prado into a manual one and make it a special rare motor to keep as my '97 HDJ80 might be sold by this time next week.

(I know 78 is not an 80 but I needed the cash)

Has anyon transplanted a 1kz from a 4runner to a prado 78? Would the gearox/props fit withou any adaptation?

Any help will be apreciated.

Thanks

You will have to keep the Prado transfer case as the 4runner ones driveshaft for the rear is in the wrong place...Plus they are chain driven and a potential weak point.
Not sure if it will need an adaptor from manual box to transfercase.
As for the 4runner 1KZ, it should bolt straight in, just swap over the flexiplate and remove pilot bearing.

But some others may have done this and can confirm.

Sorry to bring this back.... but had no time to fix the kzj78 since previous posts.

WHY DID IT START when I applied 12v to the spill valve? From what I have learnt it only needs a very low 0.5v to operate the spill valve .... which it was getting!! but not started untill I applied 12v to it ... it started with an enormous cloud of grey smoke and wouldnt stop with key and the revs kept rising! I had to pull battery power to stop it.

I had it started 2 times as above.

could it be that the ecu is OK? something else to blame?

The glowplug light and check engine light DO NOT light up when ignition is on :frown:

The spill control valve serves two purposes..
It is a fuel shut off and also assists in metering fuel (spilling it) when running. It gets its signal from the ECU via a relay.

I suspect applying 12V to it directly is just opening it up full and the smoke is overfueling.

Download a 1KZTE engine manual and start doing the electrical checks for all the fuel aspects of the engine management.

There is a link in the stickeys at the top of the 70 series page.

If its any help the trouble shooting guide says...
Difficult to start.... Engine cranks normally...
1. Diagnostic code check.
2. battery and battery terminals.
3. Fuse (AM2) Which ever that one is.
4. Pre heat system
5. ECD Main Relay.
6. Spill relay.
7. Spill control valve... (yours gets signal and works sort of)
8. Engine speed sensor.
9. ECU.
10 Compression.
11 Fuel quality.
12 Injector pump
13 Buy a Nissan.

Hahhaha couldn't resist.

Last edited:
Hi,
You probably have a faulty ecu. The spill valve does need 12v but in the form of pulses, thats why you get the engine overfueled. By providing 12v and the engine is alive shows that the ecu did not supply the required signal.
An ecu from hilux surf KZN130 A/T will start your engine but you may not achieve overdrive with it. I have'nt figure out why, may be some difference in the auto gearbox configurations.
Good luck.

Yes I have learnt from other posts on the net that an ECU from a Surf KZN130 3.0TD WILL start the KZJ78 and drive in 3 gears, it does not engage overdive however.....

I have seen an ECU for Surf auto gearbox on ebay .... so maybe the kzn130 has a seperate gearbox ecu as well...

I have an ecu from surf kzn130 and will try it in my kzj78...... see what this does :meh:

Thanks for the replies guys.

@gotoy
yes I opened it up, nothing looked fubar but in 2 seperate places I found 2 small resistors sort of stuck together as if they were stuck with glue of some sort.

maybe this indicates that they were heated up and began to melt?

Would you post a couple of pictures of these 2 resistors.

An ecu from hilux surf KZN130 A/T will start your engine but you may not achieve overdrive with it. I have'nt figure out why, may be some difference in the auto gearbox configurations.

Some things that effect OD operation are the Speed sensors and temp.
In the Surf they use two speed sensors one in the box and one in the instrument cluster.
I think the KZJ only has one in the box. ie no redundancy.

The pin outs for all the Auto box solenoids are in the same place as the KZJ.

The temp sensors could be reading a different temp range between models and when in the KZJ under read thinking the Truck is cold and no OD operation.

Have fun

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom