KZJ78 Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I hope everyone is having a good weekend. I have a few questions that I am hoping someone might be able to answer.

1. I am looking for a new rear bumper. The only two that I have seen is the Dobinson with the swing out (ugly as hell) and the coastal off road (cnc machined kit). Does anyone know about any other ones? There doesn't seem to be a whole hell of a lot in regards to aftermarket stuff for the 1993 KZJ 78 Prado.

2. I am also trying to get a new lift. Currently I believe what is on there is a 100mm Rancho lift. I like the ride height but haven't really been able to find any complete kits besides OME and Dobinson. I would like to get the BP51s which from what I've seen is made for the KZJ78 but my question is can I incorporate that with 75-100mm springs. I had also looked and talked to King. They need exact measurements to make custom length shocks. Id rather not have to take everything off to measure what's on there if possible. Let me know what y'all are running.

Thanks for any info you can pass my way.

Hello,

Kurt / @cruiseroutfit made a nice rear bumper for the Heavy Duty 70 Series. Quite likely it fits the Light Duty 78 Series as well. Drop him a note.

Regarding suspensions, get a Dobinsons kit and do not look back. Typical lift is 2 in. / 54 mm: you may need to change all your suspension components to fit a Dobinsons.

I understand there are 100 mm JDM lift kits available for the 78 Series but these are rare outside Japan. A 100 mm lift is a good choice if you plan to use 35 in. tires. Otherwise, a 50 mm lift is good enough.

Juan

Hello,

Kurt / @cruiseroutfit made a nice rear bumper for the Heavy Duty 70 Series. Quite likely it fits the Light Duty 78 Series as well. Drop him a note.

Regarding suspensions, get a Dobinsons kit and do not look back. Typical lift is 2 in. / 54 mm: you may need to change all your suspension components to fit a Dobinsons.

I understand there are 100 mm JDM lift kits available for the 78 Series but these are rare outside Japan. A 100 mm lift is a good choice if you plan to use 35 in. tires. Otherwise, a 50 mm lift is good enough.

Juan
Yeah, I've seen a few nice 2-3" lifts available. I have had the 100mm lift on there since I got it. Going down in lift would be a hard pill to swallow. Ill check out cruiser outfitters. Thanks!

Any pictures of your truck? I'd be very interested to see how it sits on the 100mm springs.

I found a similar used lift local to me which I put in my LJ78 (previously I've run brand new OME and Dobinson's lifts). I scrapped the used pro-comp shocks for new extended travel Dobinsons. Way better than the pro-comps, and it rides very nice. I love the tall springs, and they do work great with my 35s. Here are some pictures. My truck's not pretty, but it does go anywhere.

Any pictures of your truck? I'd be very interested to see how it sits on the 100mm springs.

I found a similar used lift local to me which I put in my LJ78 (previously I've run brand new OME and Dobinson's lifts). I scrapped the used pro-comp shocks for new extended travel Dobinsons. Way better than the pro-comps, and it rides very nice. I love the tall springs, and they do work great with my 35s. Here are some pictures. My truck's not pretty, but it does go anywhere.

What extended travel shocks did you use? I haven't seen any of those on their site.

like I said, she is new to me. I was doing some looking around underneath at the suspension and it looks like there are spacers for the coils and a body lift as well. Like I said, the highest portion of the front fender sits 40 inches above the ground. So it’s sitting pretty high. I am thinking about going with your suggestion of the 75mm lift through Dobinsons and taking the spacers off. I might leave the body lift on since it looks no bigger than an inch. I would like to stuff 35s in there but I definitely don’t want to make it to tippy when it’s off road.

08720CC0-F8BB-4D14-89CF-4EA512EF403A.jpeg

4DEAA7C3-D3D5-4ECF-BB61-1744C3D48AF8.jpeg

AB622D76-C93F-40BB-B183-7126447EC7BB.jpeg

7EC4D870-FB30-4697-8745-5C163C121A2A.jpeg

133A6E85-7F47-4073-BD12-3E134E918AE6.jpeg

Truck looks great! I don't think Dobinsons makes a 75mm lift. It's a 60mm lift. I was just recommending their shocks if you want something better than the ones you have on there. Personally I'd stick with the springs you have if I was you. Any lower and you won't be able to fit 35s. I don't find my truck any tippier with 35s. Especially as they are wider offset rims and wider tread. Less tippy if anything.

I was able to find a company called SPC 4x4 out of Malaysia that has a wide variety of suspension set ups for the KZJ78 and other models. Lots of 80 series stuff! They don’t have a webpage. Find them on Facebook and communicate through WhatsApp. They have everything from bumpers to suspension and everything in between. They have a remote resi setup available in 100mm. Anyone ever seen any of their stuff in person?

4ED45AFC-3CAE-4EBE-9968-057CBF860D82.png

C790E01D-D226-42CA-89DC-ACA002C11F3A.jpeg

why not go with toughdog suspension? BP51 does not have shocks for KZJ78 series. SPC shocks are not bad , i have friends at sabah thats what their reviews are.
for sure dont compare with famous shocks like "king shocks". its not a bad shock but i personally think its better that there is a dealer in the states will be very helpful.
As these shocks can be RE-valve to suit the owner needs . overall they are not bad . in terms of PNP suspension, i suggest tough dog , dobinsons and ironman.

I hope everyone is having a good weekend. I have a few questions that I am hoping someone might be able to answer.

1. I am looking for a new rear bumper. The only two that I have seen is the Dobinson with the swing out (ugly as hell) and the coastal off road (cnc machined kit). Does anyone know about any other ones? There doesn't seem to be a whole hell of a lot in regards to aftermarket stuff for the 1993 KZJ 78 Prado.

2. I am also trying to get a new lift. Currently I believe what is on there is a 100mm Rancho lift. I like the ride height but haven't really been able to find any complete kits besides OME and Dobinson. I would like to get the BP51s which from what I've seen is made for the KZJ78 but my question is can I incorporate that with 75-100mm springs. I had also looked and talked to King. They need exact measurements to make custom length shocks. Id rather not have to take everything off to measure what's on there if possible. Let me know what y'all are running.

Thanks for any info you can pass my way.
I’ve got Ironman suspension, love it. Rides amazing on the road, and does great off road too. And I would say it’s got a nice amount of flex

E5BE13E4-748C-41DC-A581-16C9B3FBB538.jpeg

DCBDC77F-FA50-4981-B799-109F83DEEF57.jpeg

65DCF305-E60F-4741-969A-BAE42D0AC012.jpeg

I’ll offer up another vote for the Dobinsons suspension. The ride is butter smooth. Better than the TJM kit I have on my 80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom