Knuckle shims top and bottom (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
taking apart the knuckle and I find shims on the top and on the bottom. Mic's out to .40 mm on both, consisting of a .30 and a .10. This is the first '70 I've encountered, but I've found the same configuration on 40's and 60's. I've also found flat washers, lock washers a weld bead, usually on top but recently on a 40 on the bottom. I see what the FSM say's, and I can see a reason (this is the wrong method) for space takers on top, but the bottom?

What say's the brain trust?
`

20140111_130145[1].jpg

The bottom shim(s) center the knuckle housing on the swivel ball, making the axle shaft run true in the housing and thru the axle seal. The top shims are for the bearing preload of top and bottom trunnion bearings.

So whatever came out of the bottom needs to be reused or new shims of exactly the same thickness put back in or your centerline will be off.

Sent with greasy fingers.

Hi all,

X 2 what yotahed wrote.

Regards,

Alan

The bottom shim(s) center the knuckle housing on the swivel ball, making the axle shaft run true in the housing and thru the axle seal. The top shims are for the bearing preload of top and bottom trunnion bearings.

So whatever came out of the bottom needs to be reused or new shims of exactly the same thickness put back in or your centerline will be off.

Sent with greasy fingers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom