Knocking sound (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
95 w/162,000. A fairly loud knocking sound is coming from the engine bay while idling. Started last night and doing it again today. All fluid levels are good and had a oil change recently. I don't think it's a motor knock but has a similar sound. Can the water pump or anything else make that kind of noise? Exhaust leak etc. Any ideas?

Last edited:
I had a verry similar problem last week....... after checking around it turned out that 1/3 of the teeth on my belt were missing..... a 20 dollar fix!!! if you disconect them and there is still a noise it could be alot worse

95 w/162,000. A fairly loud knocking sound is coming from the engine bay while idling. Started last night and doing it again today. All fluid levels are good and had a oil change recently. I don't think it's a motor knock but has a similar sound. Can the water pump or anything else make that kind of noise? Exhaust leak etc. Any ideas?

Is the noise emanating from the very front of the engine? If so, it may be the timing chain tensioner (is that the right term?). I was told that on another 1FZF-E, which had a constant knock from the very front of the engine.

Of course, the sound I heard continued while at a higher RPM as well.

Get a mechanics stethoscope.

Yes, the noise is only in the very front. I pulled each plug wire one at a time and started the truck but the sound did not change. The knock also speeds up with engine RPM. I'll check the belts but my brother is a mechanic and did mention that it could be a timing chain issue. Can I get the chain tightend or what's involved there?

Can't believe it! One of the Alt belts had 4 teeth missing which was causing all of the knocking noise against the pulleys. Not only is that sound gone now that I have installed OEM belts, but the whinning, whirling and other weird sounds are silent. The truck sounds new! Now when I'm driving or at idle with the windows down all I hear is the low hum of the muffler. Man am I a happy boy.

I had the exact knocking sound and thought it was time for the motor to go.......an hour later it threw all the belts. Now she is good. Although I need to go back with oem belts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom