KM2s or ATs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

My apologies if this topic has been covered heavily somewhere else, but I wasn't able to find it in the search. Feel free to point the new guy in the right direction.

Coughing up for new tires for the FJ62 and I'm going back and forth between the BFG ATs and the KM2s. Size will be 33x10.5x15 on the OEM wheels. The suspension is stock, for the time being. Usage will range between gravel and sharp rocks in West Texas to drifting, loose sand on North Padre Island and plenty of general mixed terrain in between.

To complicate matters my local tire guy mentioned he has seen numerous KM2s coming back with separated treads and the associated damaged bodywork.

Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Hermann

You'll be fine with AT's... that's what I run... the one time I was on sand I air down and was just fine...

To complicate matters my local tire guy mentioned he has seen numerous KM2s coming back with separated treads and the associated damaged bodywork.

Hermann

Strange... I know a guy who is financial manager for an earth moving company that works in the jungle here. He also buys all the stuff they need, including all tires. He told me a few weeks ago that they litteraly tried all brands and types of tires on their 4WD's, because they have a very rough life over there (rocks, sharp stones, sand, bauxiet roads and all). He said that from all the tested tires, the KM2's came out best, much better than the others. So they just use KM2's now and they are happy with them. Btw, the guy owns a 60 himself.

Interesting about the tread separations... Haven't heard that myself. Anyways, I've been rolling on KO's (AT) E-Load range tires for about 3 years now and I haven't gotten stuck once.

I've wheeled in sharp rocks, slick rock, boggy, muddy, rivers, etc. I have been extremely pleased with the on and off-road performance of the KO's. They will be perfect in all areas of Texas except maybe East Texas where even MT's won't get you through. They do chunk a bit on the sharp rocks, but I doubt if any other AT fares better. I have been in situations where I held back some because I was concerned about traction (I am mostly out by myself) where a MT might have given me some peace of mind, but we're talking deep mud here.

All in all, research each one individually. From what I hear the KM2's are pretty quiet for mud tires and have good road manners as well. That being said, even though I am supremely happy with my KO's, as I transition the truck from my DD to weekend vehicle, KM2's will be going on next.

I did a little searching and the only tread separation comments I saw were in relationship to being on to narrow wheels.

I have had both AT and Mud Terrains. I currently run KM2s. Given a choice, I would lean to the KM2 tires.

I found the ATs do not grip enough when you really need them. Great on the road, but on rough ground, the wheels spin when you don't want them to. The KM2s will get you out of a jam if needed. If you don't have a locker, get the KM2.

The KM2 is actually about halfway between the KO and the old MT. Less void space, quieter, and less prone to hydroplaning. It's more of an all-round tire than the MT used to be and is better in diverse off-road situations.

If you're in the Southwest or other places usually dry and sandy, then I'd go with the KO. Otherwise, the KM2 rulz.:beer:

I have them both. If you're mostly highway, go with the KO. My KM2s were very quiet when new but have gotten progressively noisier as they wear. Other than the noise I can't say enough good things about them.

Hi All:

I've run the BFG MTs on 2 different rigs in the past, and currently have the ATs on my daily driver.

From what you've mentioned, I'd say the ATs will be fine, though the KM2 MTs would be good as well.

Good luck!

Alan

Hey all,

My apologies if this topic has been covered heavily somewhere else, but I wasn't able to find it in the search. Feel free to point the new guy in the right direction.

Coughing up for new tires for the FJ62 and I'm going back and forth between the BFG ATs and the KM2s. Size will be 33x10.5x15 on the OEM wheels. The suspension is stock, for the time being. Usage will range between gravel and sharp rocks in West Texas to drifting, loose sand on North Padre Island and plenty of general mixed terrain in between.

Hermann

I recently switched from Nitto TerraGrapplers (ATs) to BFG KM2s. I drive much more packed dirt, gravel and pavement than mud but when I need the muds I really need the muds. Had a customer off road on the last trip with my ATs and got in a bit of a bind. I'm much happier with the KM2s now even with the highway miles I drive.

:cheers:

I have the km2 same size that you are looking at running on stock wheels. I like them. Since you are in Texas not sure how much of an issue snow will be but I like the at MUCH better on hard packed(snow) roads. Which may not matter unless you are planning on a winter trip. For off road use km2 are better than the ats in my opinion. The km2 are not so loud that I can hear them over the 2f on the highway so I guess they are quite enough. I am not super familiar with west texas maybe the local cruiser club or just an off road club could give you some ideas about what other people are running.

KM2s for more off pavement. AT's for more pavement.

I have done 25k miles through Latin America on AT's. Never had a flat. I wouldn't go on any other tire. KM2s are going to be overkill for most out of country trips, ie down south or beyond.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom