KDSS Light Illuminated on Dash [SOLVED] (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys and girls. Long-time mud member, very recent GX owner. I currently own a 2009 GX470 Sport w/ KDSS. Like many of you guys, I've had the whole gamut of cruisers starting with a 40 series, several 60 series, an 80, and a hundy. Before the GX, I had a 2006 4Runner V6 for a few years, so I'm pretty familiar with the 120 platform. What I'm still learning is the little extras that Lexus slaps on their trucks.

Anyway, I digress. I've been doing a lot of PM on the truck since I got it t the end of 2015. Everything is like new, with the most extensive maintenance being replacement of the power steering fluid with ATF and removal of the front skid plate - basically cleaning up the bolts with a wire wheel and applying anti-seize, basically SOP here in the midwest.

So, yesterday the KDSS light illuminated on the dash. It was during normal driving on my way home from work. The truck sat outside overnight while I was working, with a mild drop in temperature throughout the night. The truck continued to sit level, the ride quality was relatively unchanged, and no other noted changes.

I came home, got on all the forums to read about KDSS with the general theme being a very expensive repair if any components needed replacing. The costs varied from about $1500-$4000. So, next stop was pulling out the Techstream software and plugging in to the truck. There is some good data feeds on the system pressures and operation of the components, and of course the DTCs.

I pulled one code, C1832, which was the Accumulator solenoid (Downside). I'm still familiarizing myself with all the components, but I think this solenoid is for the rear. Techstream provides for two tests, basically cycling the solenoids OPEN/CLOSE. The first test, for the Accumulator solenoid (Upside), properly cycling the solenoid open with a nice audible "CLICK". I performed this test a few times to try and find the exact location of the solenoid. I was working solo, so I ran out of reach to the computer while under the vehicle.

Test #2 was the Accumulator solenoid (Downside). Unfortunately, I did not get the audible "CLICK" when trying to cycle the solenoid. So, either the solenoid went bad, or it was sticking. I had the truck in the garage now, so it was warming up from it's normal place outside in the cold. I let it sit for a few hours, and continued to try and cycle the solenoid with the TS software. Eventually I started hearing the solenoid cycle with the audible "CLICK". I continued to cycle the solenoid with the test until my OCD was satisfied.

Next, I reset the DTC code and drove the truck for a good medium-duration trip. No more light and I appear to have proper operation of the KDSS system again.

Anyway, we'll have to see long-term if the sticking solenoid becomes an intermittent or long-term problem, but so far so good.

So my next question is, what are all your thoughts on KDSS system maintenance? I know this is dealer only deal, and I really hate going to the dealer for any service unless absolutely no other alternative is available, but you need a special high-pressure oil pump to replace the oil in the system. I heard replacement of the AHC hydraulic fluid at 60k intervals from what I've read, but I can't find it written down anywhere. I suppose the fluid replacement service will be mostly labor charges with a small hit for the fluid, so I'm more at ease doing the required maintenance if there is a perceived benefit to the system.

Update:

Week two, no KDSS light, so must've been some kind of fluke that the solenoid stuck. Cold weather + moisture.... I dunno.

No replies/thoughts on KDSS maintenance or fluid changes?

Update:

Week two, no KDSS light, so must've been some kind of fluke that the solenoid stuck. Cold weather + moisture.... I dunno.

No replies/thoughts on KDSS maintenance or fluid changes?
Hey man, I know this is old but did you have any more issues? Still got the truck?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom