KC, Missouri: Looking to get into an FJ60 but nervous about getting in over my head (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I have my eye on what looks to be a good deal for and FJ60. I have priced out some of the work (aesthetic) I would need to put in to get things where I would like them but mechanically I am brand new. They claim its able to be daily driven but of course, who knows. I know this will be a journey, which I am looking forward to I just don't want to immediately be over my head.

If anyone would care to come take a look at the mechanics of this vehicle or if you guys would happen to have a recommendation of someone to check it out please shoot me a message or reply here. I am happy to pay.

Thanks!

Where?

I think I'm going to try to get another look at it and take pics of the 'problem' areas, sorry I typed this wrong as well it is actually a 1989 FJ62. The pics on the website make it looks flawless. Which it does look good just has a few minor issues, some body work needed, complete new back hatch (possibly) window motors, new dash, new locks just a few little small things that can add up very quickly. Will eventually need new paint as it looks like it was a home job. And some kind of liner was sprayed across the back hatch (into the lock) I think the hatch is actually sealed. This liner was also sprayed all over the under carriage of the vehicle, and some parts of the engine bay.

This sounds like quite the project. Mind if we ask what they're asking for it? The described list will get $$$ quickly. Generally you approach these things by getting the best interior and body you can afford, and then fixing the mechanicals. Reason being that the bodies eat themselves from within, while the mechanicals are generally tough and/or repair/replace-able.

I should have just posted the listing but if you go to Adventure Motors website, they're based in Lee's summit you'll find it in their inventory. All black 1989 cruiser asking $12,000

I’d be scared of what’s under the line-x around all the normal rusty areas. What’s your budget?

The photos don't provide much information other than the hatch being shot. She sure does present well though!

If this price isn't stretching your budget, then you can get a better truck. Wait a little longer and search a little wider. There are some beauties out there in this price range.

Just tagged you on a nice rig in AR, classifieds.

I appreciate the help gents! I'll keep digging around and looking, the budget is probably 12-15k. What really worried me was the hatch, I couldn't find one for sale anywhere, and the possible hidden rust, would hate t be driving down the road and something go terribly wrong. Whatever/whenever I find the right one it will be a first, looking forward to the journey!

just the place that has it for sale should send you running. shady.

Fair enough, I was really concerned when they just couldn’t answer my questions. Could be an okay place to buy a new-ish Toyota but who knows.

Stumbled upon this earlier, thoughts? Might make a good base

My son bought a 4runner from Adventure Motors. It was not accurately represented and they rely heavily on the fine print. He may have some decent vehicles, but you definitely need to have someone else make that determination and not rely on their word.

Same story here - I have a friend who bought a 4Runner that was supposed to have a list of maintenance performed that actually didn’t happen. Also, I purchased a Tacoma from him knowing what I was getting into - he loves toyota’s And overlanding, but will tell you what you want to hear and a bunch of work that was supposed to be performed didnt happen - at least I was able to do it myself and know it was done correctly.

Like any other used car salesman, his inventory comes from the auto auctions - he just specializes in toyota’s.

Good luck on finding a 60!

My son bought a 4runner from Adventure Motors. It was not accurately represented and they rely heavily on the fine print. He may have some decent vehicles, but you definitely need to have someone else make that determination and not rely on their word.

Only 2 pictures of this one on FB marketplace but looks decent.

C494D9B9-8E80-45FF-AF0E-19B46865C74E.jpeg

@Dex43 you came to the right place. Forum houses a LOT of good knowledge from local guys and we have a couple of wheeling events through the year, with the next ones in October and again in November.

Good deals on parts throughout the metro area, as well, if you’re a member of the club.

PM me if you’re interested in some additional info and I can answer your questions about Tornado Alley Cruisers.

Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom