Just tossing this out RE: Communications (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I work for a company that provides all the communications gear for 98% of Division 1 college football. We have opened a new division that is moving into comms for heavy equipment operators. The hardware tech is portable and self contained. The key thing they do is outside sound suppression over the comm channels. Mic design and some software based acoustic filtration pushes background noise out of the signal. It’s a hands free always on signal that is more like a conference call than a 2 way or cb. It’s not voice activated so no cut in/cut out. It’s an always open channel but the mic can be muted by a button or on some headsets by pushing the boom mic up over your eyes. Range With the small belt pack antenna is about 1800 feet but that propagation is lowered by obstruction. I was told range from inside one Caterpillar cab to another is more like 600-700 feet but remember that is going out through one heavy steel cab and then penetrating into another. They also have an exterior rooftop mountable antenna that gets the range back out to 1000 or so feet with obstructions like hills and trees between users. 900mhz signal The system they offer to John Q. Public will support up to 10 talkers. Just wanted to see if anyone is interested in this as a comm application for group rides or club events. Keep in mind this stuff is based on the stuff I sell to guys like Nick Saban, Dabo Swinney and such who do their business in very loud environments. Trust me when I say that these guys are really hard to please. The sound quality is damn near crystal clear even in 90,000 seat venues with my stuff and I have been told it’s approaching that with the industrial stuff too. There are guys using the industrial equipment operating open cab heavy equipment and running chain saws and such using really lite in ear speaker/mic combos so it’s not always about those big headsets you see on football coaches. They run about a grand a user so not a cheap option at all. But they are very portable as the only parts are a belt pack which is about the size of a double thick iPhone and the headset of which there are several to choose from. No idea if this is interesting to anyone here but thought I would toss it out to see. I don’t make a dime on these things as it’s in another division of the company from me so not really looking to solicit business and honestly I stay plenty busy on the football side anyway. But I saw a sight demo today and thought they were cool. Now, this is a total luxury item that won’t take the place of 2 way or CB. It’s not really meant for longer range comms. But inside 1000 feet it is unreal sound quality that is battery powered and can be used without any mounting to your rig and the always open hands free operation is pretty slick. Thoughts?

I will venture a guess and say no. Most of the communications used are narrow bandwidth and not super high audio quality using relatively cheap hardware. My 2 cents worth.

Larry in El Paso

I will venture a guess and say no. Most of the communications used are narrow bandwidth and not super high audio quality using relatively cheap hardware. My 2 cents worth.

Larry in El Paso

Seems reasonable. Just wondering. I will probably take a few out with my buddies this weekend around clingmans and Mt Leconte just to see how it goes.

one question for you, could you tell me why you have this pegged as cheap hardware? Thanks again for your feedback

Now we are on the same page. My bad. Was gonna be pretty impressed if you were saying the thousand dollar pack was cheap hardware. I get that this is a complete luxury item. No question. You also mentioned marrow band. What bands are most of the current comms systems propagating? Really appreciate the opinions.

I have a mobile I paid $45 bucks for and a handheld for $27. Most will pay more but the system described in the first post was way over kill.

Larry in El Paso

Digital ultra high frequencies like that work great for events, a lot of that tech was/is military and also used by NASCAR. We have used it on events where distances are less than 3-4 miles from central base. But they are very expensive, not a luxury when they are necessity for immediate commo or reaction needed.

Digital ultra high frequencies like that work great for events, a lot of that tech was/is military and also used by NASCAR. We have used it on events where distances are less than 3-4 miles from central base. But they are very expensive, not a luxury when they are necessity for immediate commo or reaction needed.

Totally understand that in their specific application they are not a luxury. They are a must. But in a LC with a group of other guys it’s a luxury for sure. I’m gonna demo them Saturday and see how they function in the woods. Bc for me at least, these will be a grab and go, use on the trail, and then drop back on the charger for the next trip. And when it’s a different group riding, doesn’t matter. The new guys grab a pack and go. They can be split into smaller groups from larger ones. There is no central bases with this system. They voice direct from set to set. One of the sets (master) coordinates timing and security but is not the relay point. It’s not exactly what we do in racing. And yes, we do racing too. As well as live events like WWE, the olympics, and major concerts. This tech is a little different than that.

"Timing" and "master" imply a digital system. What is the waveform and how secure from interferenca and intercept are these systems? That technical info, more than the estimated range, will determine interest, if you ask me.

Totally understand that in their specific application they are not a luxury. They are a must. But in a LC with a group of other guys it’s a luxury for sure. I’m gonna demo them Saturday and see how they function in the woods. Bc for me at least, these will be a grab and go, use on the trail, and then drop back on the charger for the next trip. And when it’s a different group riding, doesn’t matter. The new guys grab a pack and go. They can be split into smaller groups from larger ones. There is no central bases with this system. They voice direct from set to set. One of the sets (master) coordinates timing and security but is not the relay point. It’s not exactly what we do in racing. And yes, we do racing too. As well as live events like WWE, the olympics, and major concerts. This tech is a little different than that.
What was the result of your testing?

What was the result of your testing?

Worked very well with line of site. Not so well with obstruction. Anything over about 1000 feet got some chop until we redistributed the packs so that the master was in the middle of the group. After that they were crystal clear from lead truck to rear. Always on comms are super convenient. No waiting to talk or lock out. Basically like a conference call. But at 1000$ a set I don’t see it being viable for many.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom