Just bought a M416, I have a new project. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well just picked up a 1967 m416 with a pintle hitch for $150. The trailer is solid but needs a wire brush and por-15... The best part is the price and frame/bed condition. The bad is the springs. Wow never seen leaf springs crack length wise and width wise. The rust on the springs are the only thing holding it together. I will post pics of the trailer later.

BTW, the top two factory capture nuts on a 80 series rear bumper are 12 mm fine thread. The local hardware store had them in stock.

$150

wow. i found one in decent shape for $500, but that price gives me second thoughts about buying this one.

$500 is a good price. $150 was luck.

Right now I am pricing out new springs. Any one have a source for cheap springs? Best price currently is $65 each. Anyone do better?

My springs are in the same condition as yours it sounds like. I stopped off at a local Spring shop about an hour ago and they quoted me $175 ea for replacements.

EDIT: Saturn Surplus has replacement springs for $52.50 ea + S&H. Talked to them on the phone and they are NOS with the bushing at the stationary end included. They have about 30+/- in stock ready to ship.

http://www.saturnsurplus.com/trailer/trailer.htm

Last edited:
The springs came in on wed night. Look great, have a small amount of surface rust. Fast shipping($23/ups), great price and good service. On a side not the original springs on the trailer were 10 leaf the replacement are 7 leaf.

I am having a hard time with the rear shackle nuts, are they reverse threaded?

Thanks

BTW, did a search... Thanks to photogod's old post, the left side u shackle is reverse threaded.

Last edited:
Heads up on part number for u bolts on my 67 M416.

Napa part number 650-4012 7/16" X 2" X 6.5" round style. $7.09 each

They worked fine but are a bit long for the seven leaf spring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom