July ROTM - West Clear Creek Saturday 7/21/18 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm going to have to bail on this one, unfortunately. :frown:

Meet up at the Mustang gas station Google Maps 7:30 to 8:00 am. Google says it is a 2 hour 20 minute drive from my house so I will be leaving the house by 5 am.

Not sure what time the restaurant opens with new owners. I hope to get there around 7:00. Won't have to leave at 5:00 to make it.:rolleyes:

You still planning on camping at the creek? Rain has been very scattered on the rim. Didn't get any rain until the evening yesterday. It was quite a thunderstorm and lasted well over a hour. It hasn't been anything like it been in the Doney Park area east of Flagstaff which is still having flood issue from the Schultz fire back in 2010. Not sure what a down pour like that would do to the water level at the bottom of the canyon.

Not sure what time the restaurant opens with new owners. I hope to get there around 7:00. Won't have to leave at 5:00 to make it.:rolleyes:

You still planning on camping at the creek? Rain has been very scattered on the rim. Didn't get any rain until the evening yesterday. It was quite a thunderstorm and lasted well over a hour. It hasn't been anything like it been in the Doney Park area east of Flagstaff which is still having flood issue from the Schultz fire back in 2010. Not sure what a down pour like that would do to the water level at the bottom of the canyon.

I am bringing my tent and camping somewhere nearish to the trailhead. A little hiking never hurt me. Just need to remember to bring my hiking poles.

There is a great spot right at the trail head or I know another spot closer to the hike out if someone is already there.

The July ROTM was a small turnout with 4 rigs. @Living in the Past 62, @Fuge LX470, @A10Driver 200, and @Dimples dodge truck. We started at the FR616 off of the 87 about 4 miles south of clints well. Headed North to meet up with FR142 and continued West. Did some exporation driving on the forest roads north of FR142. @A10Driver and @Living in the Past did this as a day trip. @Fuge and myself setup camp at the end of FR6382. After breaking camp Sunday we headed West again,and did some more exploring north of 142.

We had no vehicle issues. All of the trucks were in top form. Other than a little rain early in the morning on the drive to Clints well, the weather this weekend was amazing. There were a couple of storms North of Clear Creek that provided some great views and good rumbling thunder. The previous storms have left some pretty good mud holes a few places on the trails so we have some cleaning to do. I got the Dodge stuck momentarily until I realized that I had put the truck in 2High instead of 4High :slap:. I have gotten too used to AWD.

So,

Never go here it is a terrible place. Very ugly and boring with impassible trails and man eating spiders the size of bears. Just kidding. If you have never been to this area I highly recommend it. There is something for everyone in this area. Just make sure to check the forest service use maps to make sure the road you are on is currently legal to drive, because some are not technically open even though they have a posted trail number and no gate.

Last edited:
Some Pics
IMG_1964.JPG
IMG_1968.JPG
IMG_1972.JPG

Had a great time, next time will plan on a over night. I didn't snap a single picture. @Fuge batwing awning was amazing quick easy shade. Makes me want to add a roof rack to the 62 to add one. Even in the high country shade isn't always the easiest too find. It was nice to see how green everything is now. Weather couldn't have been better. Great to be able to wheel with the windows open in July. It was agreed to explore the open forest service roads verses hiking down into West Clear Creek. While the forest has closed down a bunch to the roads still plenty of roads to explore and once off the main roads rare to even see any side by side.

Still need to clear the undercarriage but did pull a couple of pounds of mud/dirt off of each mud flap. Noticed one was distorted because of it. Would have to work at getting stuck in one of the mud puddles in my opinion, but they are unavoidable. If you hate mud that bad monsoon season isn't the time to go.

Did I pass you guys while you were outside at Clint's well? I was in my tan 60. I had camped with some boys scouts outside of Flagstaff. My boy had to be home by 11:00. It was a beautiful drive from Flagstaff to Payson. After that not so much. I looked over and just happened to see two LCs then a couple guys standing around .

Did I pass you guys while you were outside at Clint's well? I was in my tan 60. I had camped with some boys scouts outside of Flagstaff. My boy had to be home by 11:00. It was a beautiful drive from Flagstaff to Payson. After that not so much. I looked over and just happened to see two LCs then a couple guys standing around .

Yes you did. You have a very nice looking rig.

@Dimples the pic of the two rigs looks like you were right by the TH for Calloway Trail?

@Dimples the pic of the two rigs looks like you were right by the TH for Calloway Trail?

You may very well be correct. We were at a trail head. All the signage and sign in box were old and broken down. Did not see any a name. Low tech and was just following @Dimples was leading and just following along. I do know we were at the end of 142B, which is a legal road on the travel map.

@Dimples nice job setting up and leading the ROTM. That was a lot if fun. It was really cool to explore the new roads and find some new trail heads I hadn't seen before. Also thanks for the tips on making my LX better and where to find the stuff. I looking forward to finding some time to explore our drawer system discussion and integrated on board air. @Living in the Past glad you liked the awning. The ease is one of my favorite parts too. I know a whole lot more about LC numbers and history now too. @A10Driver thanks for making the trip. Tell the guys in Japan hello for me. Your LC looked good with some mud on it. Can't wait to see it with the new bumpers. You got to get sliders though. I unintentionally ops tested mine on a rock. I didn't take too many shots either. But here is what I got.

20180722_134103_resized.jpg

20180721_175417_resized.jpg

20180721_175310_resized.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom