Isn't the GX470 essentially the same vehicle as a 2006 Land Cruiser?! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I looked up the specs on the 2006 land cruiser which happens to have stupid insanely positive reviews as you would expect. But it has a 4.7 v8 and a 5 speed auto. Isn't that the EXACT same powertrain as the GX470? So in theory, isn't the GX as reliable as a LC that will last 500k miles? I didn't know if there were different variations of the 5 speed auto with the 4.7 but I was curious if it was the same one.

Thanks,

Engine is same, so is trans (I think).

What are you getting to? Some parts are same, but the drive experience is completely different.

Everything after the trans is different, different transfer case without the torsen, wider (I think) and larger axles, much larger front diff, different bolt pattern on hubs, different gear ratios. They are similar but not the same when it comes down to it

pcruz1 welcome to the forum. If we really want to split hairs, the gx470 is a land cruiser powerplant on a 4runner frame/suspension. In my opinion this is the best combination since the 100 series front suspension has several design flaws. The GX is also several hundred pounds lighter which I'm not mad about.

But you are correct, reliability is the same. I'm currently at 236k and it drives like it has 50k on it.

Last edited:
The Gx470 is a land cruiser... the Prado Land Cruiser 120 series ... the LX470 is the Land Cruiser 100 series .... different platforms still both are Land Cruisers

Everything after the trans is different, different transfer case without the torsen, wider (I think) and larger axles, much larger front diff, different bolt pattern on hubs, different gear ratios. They are similar but not the same when it comes down to it
The front diff is the same in the 2006 GX and LX of the same year. both have the 8" reverse clam shell. The rear was bigger in the LX with a 9.5" over the GX with the 8" diff.

No, they are not the same. The land cruiser has more reliable parts that will last a lot longer than those on the gx470.

My son’s fzj80 land cruiser has 290k mikes and stil on original everything except radiator.

On my gx470, I have new alternator, new water pump, new radiator, new control arms. Land cruisers are built like tanks. Lexus are built for luxury.

No, they are not the same. The land cruiser has more reliable parts that will last a lot longer than those on the gx470.

My son’s fzj80 land cruiser has 290k mikes and stil on original everything except radiator.

On my gx470, I have new alternator, new water pump, new radiator, new control arms. Land cruisers are built like tanks. Lexus are built for luxury.
How many miles are on your gx? Also, how did you know you needed to replace alternator, pump, radiator and control arms? Are there any indications? Im new to GX world thats why I ask.

These are all common wear parts. The majority gx470’s are still running factory suspension minus rear airbags with 200k+ Considering most of them have been babied by previous owners. The 4.7l is one of the most reliable engines Toyota made right beside the 3.4l. Bought my gx at 185k factory everything rode like new. Just rolled 200k but I have replaced the whole suspension lift etc since we rode trip this truck 3-4 times a year.

Im at 162k now, but radiator had pink crust around the seams, so I replaced it. Since I was replacing radiator, I also replaced main hoses, thermostat, and cap. Water pump replaced with timing belt using Asin kit. Basically the cooling system and belts replaced at 127k.

Alternator replaced as preventive maintenance and kept original one as spare.

lower control arm bushings were torn, so I replaced the arms. I have the original ones as spares with poly bushings on hand as a project to do in the future.

FZJ80 still running original water pump, control arms, alternator, starter, and more.

Last edited:
Im at 162k now, but radiator had pink crust around the seams, so I replaced it. Since I was replacing radiator, I also replaced main hoses, thermostat, and cap. Water pump replaced with timing belt using Asin kit. Basically the cooling system and belts replaced at 127k.

lower control arm bushings were torn, so I replaced the arms. I have the original ones as spares with poly bushings on hand as a project to do in the future.

FZJ80 still running original water pump, control arms, alternator, starter, and more.
Nice. You gonna drive your gx till 300k?

The 100 series uses the same 4.7 2uz that the gx470 does. So presumably they would use a similar if not the same alternator, starter, and waterpump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom