Is this just a Dash Lights issue? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gday Everyone

I have just purchased my first 4WD (A 1995 straight Petrol 80) I can say with confidence that I dont know anything about cars, but I am hoping to change that by working on her and annoying people on this forum :)

I want to make a point of trying to read as much as possible before I ask questions, so I am not so reliant on others.

It would seem that I have a number of lights out on my Dash. I am not sure if all lights should eliminate when in the 'ON' position, but the 'D' drive is out, ABS and CDL. I am sure there are others out.

I am confident that the CDL works as I have read a lot on this forum and I can hear a click when I push the CDL switch. I can also hear the motor under the car. It also feels different when I engage the CDL and complete a tight turning circle.

So I am assuming this means I just have an issue with Dash lights? Is this correct / likely?

What should I be doing to fix or look into this issue more?

Thanks in advance for your help and I am sorry I am not making sense :)

Cheers

Mick

P.S. I have attached a photo of the dash, while in the 'ON' position. Not sure if this helps :)

IMG_1341.jpg

Could be the dash lights, CDL and ABS, but more likely is the sensor switch on the frontside of the transfer case. The easy way to test is to pull the plug to that switch and short the pins together. If the dash lights come on then the problem is with that sensor switch. Report back afterward please.

Gday Everyone
IMG_1341.jpg

What do these indicate? Sorry, I'm easily distracted.
Binnacle bulbs burn out of course.
You could start by replacing them all, then go from there to determine what mechanical bits are not functioning.
And btw, the neutral safety switch (NSS) can cause lights not to illuminate on the dash.

Last edited:
Could be the dash lights, CDL and ABS, but more likely is the sensor switch on the frontside of the transfer case. The easy way to test is to pull the plug to that switch and short the pins together. If the dash lights come on then the problem is with that sensor switch. Report back afterward please.
Probably a silly question, but does it just come straight off. It doesn't seem to want to budge and I dont want to break it. I am just lifting it straight up.

Thanks

There should be a small release clip, like almost every other connector on the vehicle, to release the connector.

Did you have the ignition key turned on while doing the test?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom