Is there a way to adjust tension on FJ60 hand throttle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

caladin

Noob, but trying to learn
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
bz93.com
I got a Fj60 hand throttle off ebay. It was filthy, as in I didn't know the letters were white till after I washed it.

In the process of washing and scrubbing water got into the cable jacket, so I used some wd40 to displace it, thinking
there was still plenty of friction.

What I forgot was the gas pedal return spring. No where near enough tension...

I've been flushing it with alcohol to try to get all the wd40 out, but it still just slides back in when I let go.
it's better, but not good enough.

Is there a way to adjust the tension on the fj60 hand throttle?

Will an fj62 hand throttle that you can lock work instead? Can i just swap it out for the newer one?

Thanks,

Eric-

I got a Fj60 hand throttle off ebay. It was filthy, as in I didn't know the letters were white till after I washed it.

In the process of washing and scrubbing water got into the cable jacket, so I used some wd40 to displace it, thinking
there was still plenty of friction.

What I forgot was the gas pedal return spring. No where near enough tension...

I've been flushing it with alcohol to try to get all the wd40 out, but it still just slides back in when I let go.
it's better, but not good enough.

Is there a way to adjust the tension on the fj60 hand throttle?

Will an fj62 hand throttle that you can lock work instead? Can i just swap it out for the newer one?

Thanks,

Eric-

post photos of your FJ60 hand throttle please

there's alot that can make them bind and feel hard to pull and push ...

PXL_20221011_051302979.jpg

It's right behind the shadow of the steering wheel from dome light.

I over lubed mine after cleaning, I need more binding, alas..

E-

View attachment 3137617

It's right behind the shadow of the steering wheel from dome light.

I over lubed mine after cleaning, I need more binding, alas..

E-
I believe (all mine have always been like this) that you turn it clockwise to lock it where you want to set the throttle?

It's not quite like a lawnmower throttle where you just set it where you want it

I had the twist to unlock throttle cable (Toyota). I didn’t know there was a different type. I had to twist it to disengage it from the locking notches and then push it in. I bought the cable brand new in 1989 and it always performed that way.

If the knob is pulled out to lock the throttle, and a panic event (or dumb ass passenger) slams it shut without twisting it first, the locking wire that engages the notches on the rod will grenade and it will never lock off the throttle again.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom