Ironman Winch - Opinions/Experiences? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anthony.L

Looking for the end of the road...
Threads
I'm seriously considering the Ironman 12,000lbs winch. Reasons; waterproof, comes with wired and wireless remotes, fits with solenoid inside bumper, less weight than the Warn M12k, and half the price of the Warn 12k.

So, anyone used one, experiences?

Hi All:

You have any pics, or a link to this Ironman brand electric winch?

From what you've told us so far, I'd hazard a guess it is some cheap Chinese-made disposable electric winch. Ala T-Max, Smittybuilt, etc.

Regards,

Alan

Australian made.

The guys at 4WD Toyota Owner put this on a 100 series in the latest issue on a new Slee bumper.

This is why the Ironman winch was brought to my attention, I saw it on Darby's 100 LC in the latest issue of 4WD Toyota Owner. I'm also going with the exact same Slee front bumper and really like the fact that it fits completely in the bumper including the solenoid unlike the Warn M12k. With the Warn you have to mount the solenoid in the engine bay somewhere.

My worry is the price is almost too good to be true, a 12,000lbs winch for $699?! That's half the cost of the Warn M12k and I'm a firm believe you get what you pay for. I would be hard press to believe this Ironman winch is not made in China.

So, still looking for someone who owns one and can give me their $.02 on the winch.

I stand corrected.

After double checking page 19 of the latest 4WDTO which has the Camel 4X4 ad which states:

"Australia's top selling winch now available!" and "Developed and tested in the Australian Outback, all parts are backed by a 2 year warranty"

So true not "made".

Alan

As i have a 4wd workshop and deal with Ironman products, I have fitted a 12,000 winch to a Ironman (ARB ripoff) bullbar, works OK, VERY slow!!!, made in china. control box very flimsy, BUT.. 2year Warranty, for under 1K. for the 4wder just getting into serious stuff its not bad, over here a hi-mount Warn will cost $2800+ and a 9.5xp $2500+ new. I wouldnt put a Ironman on my own coz I dont like paying for things twice but the price and warranty do sell them..

Cammo

quote:
(My worry is the price is almost too good to be true, a 12,000lbs winch for $699?! That's half the cost of the Warn M12k and I'm a firm believe you get what you pay for. I would be hard press to believe this Ironman winch is not made in China.)

It does seem that you already know the true answer to your question. $700 is alot to pay for a winch that may or may not last more than 2 years. I just can't see paying $700 for something that you know isn't the quality product that you seem to want. Plain and simple is save your money and buy quality. You can find used Warns for less than $700. I got my second XD9000I (that ran fine) for $300, replaced any worn parts, rebuilt it, painted it and put Synthetic line on it. I now have a total of a right at $600 in it and it is as good or better than new. That was 4 years ago and it is still going strong.

Last edited:
It does seem that you already know the true answer to your question.

You are absolutely right, I was pretty certain it was too good to be true and would be a cheap Chinese winch. However I had high hopes someone would come on here and tell me differrent. Oh well, I will probably just get a Warn M12k factory refurb for $1000.

You are absolutely right, I was pretty certain it was too good to be true and would be a cheap Chinese winch. However I had high hopes someone would come on here and tell me differrent. Oh well, I will probably just get a Warn M12k factory refurb for $1000.

Well, a cheap Chinese winch would be the Smittybilt line. Our 12k cost $489 freight included.:p

I know that people have their opinions on what works and what doesn't. But I suspect a lot of problems that people find with "cheap" winches have to do with poor installation practices and misuse. Put them in the hands of someone with limited winch experience and :doh:

In any case, I could afford the winch I have for now and I'm happy with the build quality (it's a T-Max variant, just as I suspect the Ironman is). If it doesn't suit our needs, I'll spend the next $1000+ later.

Isn't another $300 worth the extra security knowing that you have a quality product that will work when you need it to. As the saying goes: You may not need a winch that often but when you need it you really need it. With a little PM the winch should last for the next 20 years or more. Warn has great customer service and will warranty things that they really don't have to. That is one of the great things about Warn. Always good to deal with if you have to.

Hi All:

Honestly, quality of build is very important.

Unlike a hand winch, like a Trifor (or copies, like the Black Rat brand, etc.) there are lots of small bits in an electric recovery winch which can cause issues!

Faulty electrical connections, solenoids, etc. can be a real PITA, especially when they occur on the trail! :frown:

The cheapo winch brands have little to no service support. Warn has excellent service support in North America (can't vouch for other areas), Superwinch parts are available through Summit Racing,and I'd guess Ramsey has a service and parts available as well.

Regards,

Alan

I personally have seen 5 different warn winches fail. If you are hard on your winch its going to fail whether its a warn or not. One can easily blow up a 12k warn as a smitty built. My brother even managed to crack the case on the 16,500 warn last year when he got stuck in his dodge. He blew the whole thing to @#$%. New motor and new case plus various gears were needed to rebuild it.

It's chinese made, nough said. If you are going to buy a chinese made winch then just save another 300 and buy a champion or whatever other names they call them now. When that one blows buy another and you are still into it for the amount of money.

Waterproof? I'll press the bull**** button on that one.

Anyone can have a winch made now, go to alibaba.com and find one of the dozens of companies that make them - buy a container load, make up a brand name - something like "Bendover winch co." pay 50 bucks each and sell them for 399. It's as easy as that. You get what you pay for.

I think some warn are made in china now - or at least some of the parts are.

Whatever winch you buy throw away the solenoids and install the albright solenoid - they are awesome.

Louis

I will more than likely go with a Warn 9.5xp unless you can cram a 12k in the front ARB bumper.

Thanks for the tip on the Albright solenoid, will definitely be getting one of those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom