Ironman 4x4 bumper installl (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Installed the Ironman 4x4 Prado 120 bumper this weekend. Not an easy project but my son and I were ready. The end result is pretty good. We didn’t install a winch yet so it really didn’t affect the suspension stance of the Foam cell pros.

7A938D75-234E-46B1-80F3-7EA81086127A.jpeg

4E6EBC28-31B0-4A28-ACCF-14BB4B5CE0BF.jpeg

22F2B8F8-3EF2-42AF-AAFE-1FDF84077116.jpeg

A81BDCA7-3B04-4E82-9E8E-80596DEB9B4C.jpeg

5A4753FD-7E8F-4FCC-A323-EB45FC34B68E.jpeg

Some more pics

C057EDCA-09BC-4B09-A59D-7AC8CF3EEEFB.jpeg

01267DBE-CBAE-4FC7-892C-4FBC977B889A.jpeg

E00DFE4F-1451-4EE8-BC5C-72027E419333.jpeg

173ED571-97B1-4A29-8C48-BB293DB7DD86.jpeg

2ED5474E-4174-46F4-B6FD-B1228539808C.jpeg

Looks good, did you have to trim the bottom of the hood at all, or the bumper for hood clearance?

Yes, I had to cut the Ironman bumper to allow the hood to open and close. I cut a long one inch deep section in front of the tip of the hood. Had to prime and paint it after. Not an easy install but it came out well.

Agreed! It made me nervous for sure. I covered the bumper in tape, made some estimates, drew some lines and then I still cut short of my lines. I kept test fitting and removing more material until the bumper could be set flat and even and still have space to move. I am happy with the bumper. I still have two wiring projects left. The turn signals came pre-wired and installed in the bumper. All I had to do was wire them into the existing harness. The Ironman fogs actually have a nice separate wiring harness included with factory like Toyota dash button. It looks nice but I haven’t installed it yet. I also got a pair of 7” driving lights that need be installed at the same time.

That cross member looks stout! I have an aftermarket bumper and my winch cradle sits on a plate above the frame rails. On some really deep pulls I've noticed some deflection on mine. I guarantee you wont have that problem!

pics of the cut to clear hood?

was there any other metal cutting?
I'll take some next week. I gave this truck to my son who is in college and not living at home. I just got a shipping notification from White Knuckle yesterday stating that the sliders should be here Oct. 27th. When he comes home for the install I'll update this post with images of the relief cuts that need to be made on the bumper to allow the hood to clear.

I'll take some next week. I gave this truck to my son who is in college and not living at home. I just got a shipping notification from White Knuckle yesterday stating that the sliders should be here Oct. 27th. When he comes home for the install I'll update this post with images of the relief cuts that need to be made on the bumper to allow the hood to clear.
sweet. did you guys use a tape template or just free hand?

You can see that I removed a section about 1" x 26". I did it with a jig saw, taped it off and painted it.

IMG_1389.JPG

IMG_1391.JPG

IMG_1394.JPG

I hope you'll excuse my naivté but is there a reason someone would want or need that extra material? One would think, modern,high end manufacturing processes being what they are, that there would be exceptionally little dimensional/shape difference from one vehicle to the next, so leaving it there in case of production variations doesn't seem a likely reason.

_

I hope you'll excuse my naivté but is there a reason someone would want or need that extra material? One would think, modern,high end manufacturing processes being what they are, that there would be exceptionally little dimensional/shape difference from one vehicle to the next, so leaving it there in case of production variations doesn't seem a likely reason.

_
The bumper is made for the Prado, which has a similar, but different front end than the GX. I'm sure it'll bolt up fine to a Prado with no modifications, but the Lexus requires some work to fit nicely. In the pics above, the top of the bumper has to be trimmed because the GX hood and grill are all one piece and would make contact when it closes. The Prado hood ends at the top of the grill instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom