iPad/Win10/Android GPS Mapping - Mapset Storage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking at a new platform for mapping and GPS in my rigs. I will also have a dedicated automotive style GPS such as a Garmin Nuvi, in addition to whatever solution I decide on. Whatever I decide upon will likely gravitate to also becoming my connection platform for everything and allow leaving my laptop at home.

One of my quandaries is that tablet platforms all run SSD and therefore have limited storage. So you have to - if I have the correct term - stitch together maps of the areas you will be visiting. And you are also limited to what else you can take along (music, etc). I would like to have it all accessible, all the time.

Running an external HDD wired to a Win10 or Android platform is possible through USB connections. Not possible via an iPad Pro or such afaik.

External HDD manufacturers are now starting to manufacture external HDD's which create their own wifi zone. This opens possibilities.

Has anyone explored using wireless (or hard wired for context and discussion) external HDD's so they have access to all their map data. Will mapping programs even read mapsets that are not on the SSD of the tablet.

Just starting the process of information collection, so any and all ideas welcome.

Thanks
gb

I just purchased a Galaxy tab a 10.1".WIFI only. I installed a 128gb sd card. I then downloaded the whole USA from maps.me and it only used up around 6gb. I have been loading a few of the place we go, and some we haven't through GAIA and have used about 1gb.
I like paper, don't care for all the mumbo-jumbo electric junk, but this is cool. I am finding roads in the area I have lived for 50 years that never existed except to be a private field, gated and locked, yet there is a road #.

Thanks for your response gandrimp.

I keep hearing/reading about GAIA, I'll have to do some reading.

I too like paper and when in BC have the BC Backroads books with me. I've had a Garmin 60CSx for years and have used it simply for lat/long a few times to transpose onto a page in the mapbook to confirm location. I just picked up my 1st Benchmark Road and Recreation book last spring when in Utah.

My music file is almost 140gb. I have not migrated to the cloud and don't want to rely on a cell or wifi signal anyway. I've got Garmin Canada Topo, Ibycus Canada, and now the latest BC Backroads chip. I used nRoute a few times through a laptop and liked being able to switch between mapsets (and having it all available). I've yet to try and confirm for myself, but I understand that any latest and greatest Garmin maps (or 3rd party maps) won't work with nRoute and live tracking.

So look at options...and again, appreciate your input.

gb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom