Ipad App - My Maps Editor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been looking for an iPad app that will use Google Maps satellite feed, but allow me to create my own hand drawn routes. I recently stumbled across My Maps Editor on the App Store and have been pleased so far. You can create routes from any point to any point, over trails, through creeks, over water or land, etc. it will be great for trail mapping and unmarked roads.

In September, I plan to solo run the TransAm Trail west to the intersection of the Shadow of the Rockies, then head north to Wyoming and on to Montana. Since the trail is 90% offroad, Google Maps (nor Apple Maps) will map a route. This app will let me create my own routes manually and save them for later use. Great stuff.

If you are off 'roads' then you need to be using topo maps. Cached google earth zoomed in works well too where the tracks are more out in the open (can't see them if lots of tree coverage).

For remote areas in the oz bush, I run oziexplorer on an android tablet (with various topo maps loaded). If I need to plan a route, then I'll create one (easier on the PC) and then loaded it to the tablet and have it 'overlay' onto the topo maps. I can also manually drop waypoints at spots I want to check out while there - as reminders.

Anyhow, have fun on your trip, sounds like you have a fun time exploring.

cheers,
george.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom