Intro message

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Oct 7, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
6
Location
Toronto
hey guys - apparently I need to shout out that I'm here, looks like a great place I stumbled too. Looking to join the gxor with a future (hopefully immediate) purchase of a Canadian 2009 GX470.

There's a question though, this one in particular has a buzzing noise when I shift the 4WD between N - H and N - L. The truck is in neutral, brakes pressed, and makes a buzzing noise and returns to normal after in gear.
Any thoughts?

 
Have you tried slowing down your shift throw? Looks like you’re slamming in pretty quickly and the T-case gears are grinding when going from high to low and can’t catch up.
 
Have you tried slowing down your shift throw? Looks like you’re slamming in pretty quickly and the T-case gears are grinding when going from high to low and can’t catch up.

I've never owned a vehicle with 4wd, each throw right before it catches the buzz comes to light, is that normal? I know the transfer case (?) is connected directly (vs the electronic 4wd in the SR5s) , I wonder if that's normal behaviour?
 
I've never owned a vehicle with 4wd, each throw right before it catches the buzz comes to light, is that normal? I know the transfer case (?) is connected directly (vs the electronic 4wd in the SR5s) , I wonder if that's normal behaviour?
If it’s doing it each time you move it, that’s not normal. And you re correct, the linkage is directly connect to the transfer case instead of electronic solenoids.

Also, probably 95% of these vehicles have never been in low range or had the center diff locked. A lot of times when those mechanisms are never used, they don’t work.
 
If it’s doing it each time you move it, that’s not normal. And you re correct, the linkage is directly connect to the transfer case instead of electronic solenoids.

Also, probably 95% of these vehicles have never been in low range or had the center diff locked. A lot of times when those mechanisms are never used, they don’t work.
It just occourred to me the centre diff lock was enabled. Did I just screw this up by having it enabled and putting it into 4H/4L?
 
If it’s doing it each time you move it, that’s not normal. And you re correct, the linkage is directly connect to the transfer case instead of electronic solenoids.

Also, probably 95% of these vehicles have never been in low range or had the center diff locked. A lot of times when those mechanisms are never used, they don’t work.
To add on to this for OP, Ive never seen it listed in a service manual but at least once a month i find an open parking lot and make sure to go forward/reverse for a bit in low and with the center diff locked just to keep everything lubed. Not sure how much difference it makes but I would think using it monthly vs needing it for the first time after years of not using it would help a bit.
 
To add on to this for OP, Ive never seen it listed in a service manual but at least once a month i find an open parking lot and make sure to go forward/reverse for a bit in low and with the center diff locked just to keep everything lubed. Not sure how much difference it makes but I would think using it monthly vs needing it for the first time after years of not using it would help a bit.
I've read that as well, even enabling into 4L is helpful. Good to hear this.
 
It just occourred to me the centre diff lock was enabled. Did I just screw this up by having it enabled and putting it into 4H/4L?
Ah. That probably would have caused the grinding, but I’m sure you didn’t mess anything up. Those gears are hard AF.
 
Ah. That probably would have caused the grinding, but I’m sure you didn’t mess anything up. Those gears are hard AF.
I'm guessing it should've been the other way around? Put transmission in N, set it to 4L, and set the diff lock? I read if the car isn't fully up to temp, chances of grinding may occour.
 
I'm guessing it should've been the other way around? Put transmission in N, set it to 4L, and set the diff lock? I read if the car isn't fully up to temp, chances of grinding may occour.
Yes. Neutral. 4 low. Then lock the diff. Temp wouldn’t necessarily matter unless it’s extremely cold outside.
 
Back
Top Bottom