Intermittent starting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone! I have an intermittent starting problem that started this summer. I have to hold the key in start position for a long time before it eventually cranks then start. Sometimes it doesn’t at all and I have to keep on trying (holding in start) until it eventually starts. Since then, I have replaced the starter and efi main relay. Both did not solve the problem. Fusible link was new when I rebuilt the engine back in 2017. I tried the solenoid mod for the starter but it was overcranking it. So i removed the solenoid. Any other ideas?

When you normally start the cruiser, it cranks about 7 times or so until it starts right. When I did the solenoid mod, it would still crank even though the engine had started already. Does this make sense?

I don't understand how that's possible unless it was wired incorrectly.

I just followed the process here on mud but im assuming this only benefits old starters. New/remanufactured starters should not need this right?

It's a bandaid to deal with corroded wires. The long circuit to the ignition switch and back to the solenoid on the starter develops too much resistance to pass the current needed to activate the starter solenoid.

Maybe the solenoid you added was bad and sticking. Either way, *if* you think you need the mod, you should be using a relay instead of an additional solenoid.

It's a bandaid to deal with corroded wires. The long circuit to the ignition switch and back to the solenoid on the starter develops too much resistance to pass the current needed to activate the starter solenoid.

Maybe the solenoid you added was bad and sticking. Either way, *if* you think you need the mod, you should be using a relay instead of an additional solenoid.
You gave me an idea. Maybe its the ignition switch. Do you have the relay/solenoid mod?

Do you have the relay/solenoid mod?

Nope. The only time I ever had a no-start issue, I smacked the end of the starter with a hammer and it fired right up. The fix was to replace the contacts and seat them properly.

Nope. The only time I ever had a no-start issue, I smacked the end of the starter with a hammer and it fired right up. The fix was to replace the contacts and seat them properly.
Do you know if you’re supposed to kill the line in the original ignition wiring if you do the solenoid mod?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom